Picture of the day. (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I wish I had known about this man sooner.
When I read about heroes like him it reminds me that however pervasive evil can be, not all are corrupted. I try to keep that in mind when reading about Russia-Ukraine war and the atrocities committed there.
I was thinking exactly the same thing. It is simple to paint an entire nation/society/culture with a single brush, particularly in times of conflict - but it is examples like this that show that to be an emotional (and perhaps intellectually convenient) position. I believe I owe it to the memory of people such as this to educate myself about their lives and actions - they are inspiring and truly represent the highest human qualities. Thank you for the post!

I was thinking exactly the same thing. It is simple to paint an entire nation/society/culture with a single brush, particularly in times of conflict - but it is examples like this that show that to be an emotional (and perhaps intellectually convenient) position. I believe I owe it to the memory people such as this to educate myself about their lives and actions - they are inspiring and truly represent the highest human qualities. Thank you for the post!
Agree.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
It is simple to paint an entire nation/society/culture with a single brush, particularly in times of conflict - but it is examples like this that show that to be an emotional (and perhaps intellectually convenient) position.
To best understand how actions such as the Holocaust occurred I recommend both:

View: https://youtu.be/ww47bR86wSc

and Lonnie Athens's Process of Violentization - particularly well covered in the following book relevant to this topic:

512Lys4jgML._SX322_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Lieutenant General Jimmy Doolittle, 86, shows a photo of the B-25 bomber crew in Monterey, California, April 14, 1983
that bombed Tokyo with him on April 18, 1942. He is preparing for 41st reunion with 37 survivors of the famous World
War II air raid, to be held on April 16-20. Doolittle, a resident of nearby Carmel, led 15 bombers from the aircraft carrier
"Hornet" in the first raid of Japan and it earned him the Congressional Medal of Honor.

aLIEUTE~1.jpg

Lieutenant General Jimmy Doolittle, 86, shows a photo of the B-25 bomber crew in Monterey, California, April 14, 1983
that bombed Tokyo with him on April 18, 1942. He is preparing for 41st reunion with 37 survivors of the famous World
War II air raid, to be held on April 16-20. Doolittle, a resident of nearby Carmel, led 15 bombers from the aircraft carrier
"Hornet" in the first raid of Japan and it earned him the Congressional Medal of Honor.

View attachment 715988
I believe that was what is called a 'balls-out mission' - incredible bravery on the part of all those crews

Users who are viewing this thread

Back