Picture of the day. (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Brewster F2A-1 Buffalo, Bureau Number 1393, after LT John Smith "Jimmy" Thach tipped
the aircraft onto its nose on the Saratoga's deck, 11 March 1940. Ensign Edward Butch
O'Hare also flew this aircraft several times during the summer and fall of 1940.

020338.jpg

Brewster F2A-1 Buffalo, Bureau Number 1393, after LT John Smith "Jimmy" Thach tipped
the aircraft onto its nose on the Saratoga's deck, 11 March 1940. Ensign Edward Butch
O'Hare also flew this aircraft several times during the summer and fall of 1940.

View attachment 716181
Anybody notice it is also a '13', I'm sure Jan will want to pinch the pic. :D

View attachment 716181
Admiral Thach must be looking down and saying:
" Why is it always that picture?"

I've concluded that the Marines at Midway would have been far better off if they had the F3F-3. Not as fast as a F2A, but I think we can be assured that no Zero would have outclimbed or out-turned them.

I talked to an old Marine who had been flying F3F's on the West Coast before WWII and he said they were infuriated when they heard the East Coast Marines had gotten that hot new monoplane, the F2A.

F3Fquantico.jpg
F3F-3-1.jpg

Found on Pintrest. Notice the haphazard way they blocked the view of the Norden Bombsite.
On the Martin B-26 the nose gun in the center of the bubble could not be fired with the Norden in place. Fortunately, you could remove some pins and lift the Norden out easily enough, although then you had to figure out what to do with it. In the one case I read of, the bombardier handed it to the Navigator, who had a desk aft of the cockpit but in fact spent nearly the whole flight on combat missions in the nose compartment arguing with the Bombardier (also a trained navigator) over where they were.

b26marauderhb0.jpg

On the Martin B-26 the nose gun in the center of the bubble could not be fired with the Norden in place. Fortunately, you could remove some pins and lift the Norden out easily enough, although then you had to figure out what to do with it. In the one case I read of, the bombardier handed it to the Navigator, who had a desk aft of the cockpit but in fact spent nearly the whole flight on combat missions in the nose compartment arguing with the Bombardier (also a trained navigator) over where they were.

View attachment 716297
In this photo the navigator is peaking over the pilot's and copilot's shoulders. A much more common occurance. Occasionally, if he were feeling inordinately bellicose, he might wander aft and man one of the waist guns.

Back around 1980 I saw a picture showing how the Indians has solved a technical problem. They needed to do anechoic chamber tests on a spacecraft they had built, but the problem was that the testing required the spacecraft to be mounted on a non-metallic carriage. The answer they came up with was a wooden cart pulled by a cow. Of course the cow was not not needed in the test chamber but the cart was already set up for that kind of motive power, so they used it.

The Red Chinese came up with their own solution for transporting delicate American-made communications satellites from the processing facility to the launch pad. The Americans had explained that the spacecraft needed an "air-ride" trailer for transport once it had been put in the launch configuration, so the Chinese bought one. It stood out eaily from the rest of the vehicles in use at the launch base, which looked like the were from the 1930's. But it seemed that the Chinese had very limited experience with 18 wheelers, at least in the late 1980's. So when the trailer arrived at the spacecraft processing facility they unhooked it from the tow tractor and several hundred Chinese grabbed the trailer and manhandled it into position so that the spacecraft could be loaded onto it. Then the hundreds of Chinese manhandled the the trailer back to where it could be hooked up to the tow tractor. At the launch pad the process was repeated to get the spacecraft into position to be hoisted on top of the Chinese Long March booster.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back