Picture of the day. (5 Viewers)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

The USS Hancock's crew pushes a damaged F6F-5 Hellcat overboard on March 1, 1945, the last day of strikes against the
Amami Oshima in the Ryukyu islands area of Japan. This aircraft was damaged in a barrier accident during a strike recovery
and there was not enough time to salvage or move the aircraft below for repair.

When I looked at this picture, I wondered what it must have been like to fill a B-29 from 55gal drums and a hand cranked pump. The ability to build and field these behemoths, thousands of miles away from home, with the necessary crew and gear to service them is amazing. That photo really showcases industrial might.

And yet, you couldn't do it today.
During WW2, millions of men were shipped across the world, equipped with the most modern technology, to wage war on our enemies. Now we spend billions on a handful of super-advanced aircraft and ships relying on a few score thousand mercenaries to project our military might.

Refering to our volunteer military as "mercenaries" is highly disrespectful...or did I misinterpret your comment?

Personally I understand this sentence. The fighters of 1939-1945 were enrolled under mandatory conscription, which is not the case today. Simply, the word "mercenary" is perhaps a bit strong, but the idea is correct.

Personally I understand this sentence. The fighters of 1939-1945 were enrolled under mandatory conscription, which is not the case today. Simply, the word "mercenary" is perhaps a bit strong, but the idea is correct.
True. Mercenary is a bit strong, as it implies a lack of loyalty to anyone but the paymaster. The volunteer military is much smaller than the conscript armies of the 20th Century.
My grandfathers were drafted during WW1, my father and uncles were drafted during the Cold War between Korea and Vietnam. My generation was the first to serve in a non-compulsary status.

That's why the B-29s were refueled from trucks

The B-29 bases were extraordinarily well equipped.

OK, I think we're on the same page.

Possibly but a lot of the USAAF aircraft of the period had like a microphone socket that the bonding lead plugged into with a lead direct from the nozzle where the static builds and looking much closer at the photo that bonding lead is there and is actually quite tight. I will blame a combination of me being too blind and far having far too little caffeine in my system at that time of my morning

Users who are viewing this thread