Picture of the day. (5 Viewers)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

WWII experiments with full pressure suits for flights above 40,000 feet.

pressure_suit.2jpg.jpg

AMCKen said:
9,300 gallons ONLY if the bomb bay ferry tanks were used. Normal was about 7,000. :)
Snautzer01 said:
?To what are you replying to?
The photo of the B-29 being refuelled
...and I STILL would not want to hand crank even 7000 gallons of fuel into anything! :oops::rolleyes:
Motor driven pumps. That's the order of the day when you're talking about that much fuel.
Didn't some of those planes have the ability to use their fuel pump to fill the tanks?
Seems like I read something about that.

Last edited:
That is why I said it would be overweight. As well as the weight of the guns you have to add the weight of the structural changes and to add those wing guns and ammo boxes and the access doors and then replace all the structural rigidity you just destroyed could well add almost as much weight as the guns themselves.

As for the nose guns themselves they are aft of the nose attachment point so are going to be installed in an area that is already full of pilots feet/legs, the rudder pedals and nose landing gear and a whole lot of other non essential stuff like that.

About A-20 ground strafer idea:
Soviets have made a similiar project,
View attachment 737437
Tu-2 with dozens of PPSz machine pistols.
IMHO few bombs of any kind would do a better job.

Interesting. I agree about how useful it would be but at least the guns and ammo are balanced around the CoG. I am guessing that is an external fuel tank or drop tank under the wing although it does appear to have fins so maybe a bomb of some sort. If so I do not understand the need for strapping.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back