Picture of the day. (2 Viewers)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Then don't get me started on the zipper method. Nobody here comprehends the basic concept about everyone waiting until the merge point to merge, and that while traffic is indeed slower it is still the most efficient way to merge when two lanes become one. Instead they believe people are just trying to get ahead, so they try to prevent them from merging. Then you have the idiots who start merging 3 miles before the merge point forcing traffic to get even more slow and congested.

Totally agree with the lot. A friend in Melbourne has a pressurised bottle of skydrol under the rear of his car and when he presses the extra button on his dash it sprays skydrol on any tailgating car and totally destroys their paint. I like the sentiment but it does not fix the problem as the other cars driver does not know why their paint is destroyed.

As for merging, the morons who are our elected reprehensible's in Qld changed the simple "whoever is in front has right of way" rule to three different rules that depend on the situation but did not do anything to let the public know of the changes - presumably for revenue raising purposes.

My two biggest bitches on driving in general are those who stick in the fast lane even when the slow lane is empty (though on the Tulla tollway in Melbourne I found I could usually do the speed limit in the slow lane during rush hour while the sheeple in the 3 or 4 "fast" lanes were crawling) and @#$%^& who turn from the far lane (as in turn right from the left lane etc).

One revenue raising thing that Qld has just bought in that I fully support is they have created reputedly over 100 miniature speed camera mountings that fit behind school zone signs and they officially have six cameras they rotate through these mounting catching people speeding during school zone times. Officially there are only 55 housings but given there are three in a small rural area we regularly transit through I think think the reputed number is low and the official number possibly missing a zero off the end.

Down in Victoria 1kmh over the speed limit gets you a speeding fine which means most people are spending too much time watching their speedo instead of the road and that is far more dangerous than one lousy km over the limit.

Almost as bad as the people who camp in the left lane (the fast lane in countries that drive on the correct side of the road :D ) is the idiots that think its perfectly acceptable to pass in the right lane when the left lane is open. You always pass in the left lane.

Almost had a terrible accident a few days ago. I was driving in the middle lane of a three lane interstate. There was a grandma driving in the middle lane ahead of me (she should have been in the far right lane with as slow as she was driving). I turn my left turn signal on and moved to the left lane to pass. Behind me was some idiot who decided it was too slow to move to the left lane behind me to pass as well. Nope, he moved to the right lane to pass at the same time. We almost collided when we tried to move back into the middle lane.

Too many people think think they are Nascar or Formula One drivers once they get behind the wheel.

1695896568762.jpeg

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
No, it is a German 3-barreled hunting rifle called a "Drilling". Not very well known outside Europe. Usually a double-barrel shotgun with a rifle barrel added.
...and during WWII, the German pilot's were issued them as a survival rifle...

1695976805114.png

Sure, it might be a civillian version that someone mounted a scope on, but could it be the same model (or a similar model) as the Pilot's survivial rifle?

...and during WWII, the German pilot's were issued them as a survival rifle...

View attachment 739255

Sure, it might be a civillian version that someone mounted a scope on, but could it be the same model (or a similar model) as the Pilot's survivial rifle?
The pilot's survival rifle was different- smaller and lighter. German Drillings were usually hand-crafted by master gunsmiths and were not appropriate to pack into a small cockpit. The US issued small survival rifles as well but they were 2 barrels- a .410 shotgun & .22 rifle if I remember correctly.

The pilot's survival rifle was different- smaller and lighter. German Drillings were usually hand-crafted by master gunsmiths and were not appropriate to pack into a small cockpit. The US issued small survival rifles as well but they were 2 barrels- a .410 shotgun & .22 rifle if I remember correctly.
It's still a Drilling, Manta.
That only means its a 3 barreled firearm, generally arranged as a SxS shotgun barrel arrangement atop of a single rifle barrel.
In your defense, however, German arms, in general, from the time we are referencing are considered pretty exquisite pieces. I have a 98 Mauser rifle that was built in 1938 and its one of the nicest guns I've ever seen. Even the M30 Survival weapon is actually a pretty nice piece, as it is simply a J.P Sauer drilling that was pressed into service by the Luftwaffe.
This could be where the confusion stems from.
US pilots carried their sidearms from the time of WWI, or were issued "special sidearms" for the purpose of pilot survival in the case of a downed aircraft.
It wasn't until the 1950's that a dedicated "survival rifle" was issued to USAF aircrews.
The M6 was a "combo gun" that put a .22 Hornet barrel over a .410 barrel.
The M4 was an abbreviated bolt action with a wire paratrooper's butt stock that was also chambered for .22 Hornet.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back