Picture of the day. (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

This Avenger isnt going to fly anymore. USS Hornet. 1944

Avenger-crash-Hornet1944.jpg

My father (Pacific, USN) and three of my uncles (one Marine, one flew with the Carpetbaggers, and one was USAAF ground crew) fought in WW2; my father has told me he would frequently run into people who would tell him the Holocaust never happened. He came from a small town, and many of his high school classmates fought in the US Army in Europe, and some of them were there when some of the death camps were liberated. He would usually tell the deniers they were fools. Racism, especially, and antisemitism have long, deep, and dishonorable pasts in US history. Antisemitism has very deep roots in Europe, going deeply into the Middle Ages. The type of virulent nationalism practiced by the nazis seems, however, to be a 19th Century invention.
Something is awfully familiar here...

Dad (8 AF), his younger brother was with a P-61 unit (Pacific) and an older brother a tail gunner on a B-17 (8 AF) whilst the oldest was a check pilot for Consolidated at the Detroit WIllow Run plant. Moms brother was also 8 AF fighters, yeah, family get togethers... good times, olive drab only. ;)

Totally understand what your father was saying, dad and his younger brother (separately) had some first hand stories about the death camps ( sometime post liberation ) as well, although they had to have more than a few belts of scotch before they'd say very much, and then they didn't really say too much. What they saw I don't want to think about, they've all gone West, but man do I miss all of them now.:(

Some days it's hard to feel you measure up to what they were ya know?

My father (Pacific, USN) and three of my uncles (one Marine, one flew with the Carpetbaggers, and one was USAAF ground crew) fought in WW2; my father has told me he would frequently run into people who would tell him the Holocaust never happened. He came from a small town, and many of his high school classmates fought in the US Army in Europe, and some of them were there when some of the death camps were liberated. He would usually tell the deniers they were fools. Racism, especially, and antisemitism have long, deep, and dishonorable pasts in US history. Antisemitism has very deep roots in Europe, going deeply into the Middle Ages. The type of virulent nationalism practiced by the nazis seems, however, to be a 19th Century invention.
To suggest that it never happened is like saying that ISIS and the Taliban are a kind, loving group of people who've never beheaded or injured anyone.

To suggest that it never happened is like saying that ISIS and the Taliban are a kind, loving group of people who've never beheaded or injured anyone.
And if it didn't happen in Europe, the Holocaust-why did: Hitler, Himmler and Goering all commit suicide, Hitler and Himmler never saw trial at Nuremberg, but Goering did-- "Just following our orders" was one of the excuses for the greatest act of genocide of the WW11 era- Not that the Japanese were to be excused for their "death marches" and "germ warfare camps" where captured Allied and Chinese POW's were the victims.

It will never cease to puzzle me how a nation and a people (note- I don't say "Aryan Race") that could give the world: Bach, Beethoven, Hayden, Mahler, and Austrian born genius Mozart, Jung (Swiss born but German), Goethe, Keppler, Einstein: and the list goes on- could produce a nation ruled by monsters that existed in Germany from 1933 to 1945. And the sad thing is, even with ISIS and the Taliban threatening us today, we still have the Neo-Nazis and the "skin-head" elements alive and well in America, and elsewhere in the free world.

Evil exists, and it grows and spreads when good men stand by and say or do nothing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back