Picture of the day. (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Wasn't Adm. Canaris head of the Abwehr- The Nazi's "CIA" in WW11.

A remarkable story but as a Mascot to bring good luck to the ship, I think I would pick something else.

Maximum appreciation for the photos. That said and speaking from the standpoint of 45 years of commercial photography I'm always appalled at the lack of care negatives and prints are subjected to over the years. I've never quite been able to justify the repeated copying and publishing of photos in these conditions. There is nothing historical or accurate about scratches, tears, scuffs, fingerprints, etc. I'd like to see some effort made to restore these photos to something nearer their original condition. It's takes some care but it's not brain surgery or I certainly wouldn't be able to do it! Here's a sample:

Great work, as an ex radiographer scratches, processing marks, finger prints, in fact almost anything makes me cringe, on an industrial radiograph it almost always meant a re shoot.

Waiting for the "shanker yanker" to do a "short-arm" inspection perhaps??

The lad in the right side front row with his hands in his pockets looks to be wearing ballet shoes- and a girl just behind him has her finger in her nose- not sure what the lad in front row center is "eyeballing" but the crowd is laughing along with the soldiers in uniform. Strange, isn't it, how the laughter and innocence of children transcends all boundaries- my guess is- this was early into the Weltkrieg (1939-1940?) but that's only a guess. Hansie

"

"The sword is weapon made to conquer worlds, and I honor the man who shakes it- But-what is he, nor what can he be, without first the man who makes it?"-- The Armorers Song, from "Robin Hood"--actually, 'I honor the man who wields it' would make more sense that "shakes it"- but what rhymes suitably with "wields"???- Hansie

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread