Picture of the day.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

1942 Press Photo Arab man carries bullets for the RAF in Libya - lrx65097 | eBay

1578311724815.png

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
The damage to the B-24 is from the bomb that hit it, dropped from another B-24 above, as shown in Jan's previous pic.
The front turret ha been removed, and replaced by a fairing, rather like those on the Halifax and Stirling 'Z' nose type.

First I would like to thank everyone who has posted a theory or opinion, as to what the structure is where the front turret would normally be, however I am not convinced. There is no sign of damage to the nose in either photo, no ragged edges around the structure, no torn or defaced metalwork and even in the first photo of the bombs dropping, it doesn't look like the vertical view of a gun turret. Clearly there is plenty of damage around the top turret just behind the cockpit which ties in with the first photo.

I do know that the RAF did make some changes to the Liberators, some are more well known than others but this is new one on me and I cannot work out what it might be.

The modified nose is not a result of the bomb damage. It was a 'local' conversion to aircraft in the theater, similar to others carried out on RAF Libs, such as the weather recce aircraft (although this was almost fully glazed) and very like that of the tanker B-24s used over 'The Hump'.
The metal fairing, with small window, sits on the line of the front turret, and the bonbardier's window is retained on the lower section.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back