Picture of the day. (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Histomil.com
bundesarchiv_bild_101i-287-0872-30-_russland_-_bei_orel-_endladen_eines_waggons_mit_proviant-jpg.565712
Bundesarchiv_Bild_101I-287-0872-30,_Russland_(_bei_Orel),_Endladen_eines_Waggons_mit_Proviant.jpg

25th infantry Division.jpg

25th Infantry Division troops burn out a Japanese pill box at Baguio in the Philippines, 23 March 1945.

The Battle of Baguio occurred between 21 February and 26 April 1945, and was part of the greater Luzon campaign during the Allied liberation of the Philippines at the end of World War II. During the battle, American and Philippine forces recaptured the city of Baguio on the island of Luzon from a Japanese occupation force. Baguio later became the scene of the final surrender of Japanese forces in the Philippines in September 1945.

Colour by Julius Jääskeläinen
https://www.facebook.com/JJcolorization/

Does anyone know what has replaced the front gun turret?
I think what you see is all that remains of the turret. Something big (37-40MM?) has exploded beneath it, probably setting off the turret's ammo and blowing the guns and the greenhouse overboard. The nose on this bird doesn't look like a standard strategic bomber, so maybe a long range ASW patroller that tangled with a surfaced U-boat? Some of them had Bofors-equivalent AA.
Cheers,
Wes

That may not be flak damage, it could be the result of a runaway propeller.

It looks like the nose section from a C-87, the transport version of the B-24.

Last edited:
The damage to the B-24 is from the bomb that hit it, dropped from another B-24 above, as shown in Jan's previous pic.
The front turret ha been removed, and replaced by a fairing, rather like those on the Halifax and Stirling 'Z' nose type.

The damage to the B-24 is from the bomb that hit it, dropped from another B-24 above, as shown in Jan's previous pic.
The front turret ha been removed, and replaced by a fairing, rather like those on the Halifax and Stirling 'Z' nose type.
Good thing it hadn't fallen far enough to arm itself!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back