Picture of the day. (3 Viewers)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Simone Segouin.jpg

Simone Segouin, mostly known by her codename, Nicole Minet, was only 18 when the Germans invaded. Her first act of rebellion was to steal a bicycle from a German military administration, slicing the tires of all of the other bikes and motorcycles so they couldn't pursue her. She found a pocket of the Resistance and joined the fight, using the stolen bike to deliver messages between Resistance groups.

She was an extremely fast learner and quickly became an expert at tactics and explosives. She led teams of Resistance fighters to capture German troops, set traps, and sabotage German equipment. As the war dragged on, her deeds escalated to derailing German trains, blocking roads, and blowing up bridges, helping to create a German-free path to help the Allied forces retake France from the inside. She was never caught.

Segouin was present at the liberation of Chartres on August 23, 1944, and then the liberation of Paris two days later. She was promoted to lieutenant and awarded several medals, including the Croix de Guerre.

After the war, she studied medicine and became a pediatric nurse. She is still going strong, and this October (2020) will turn 95.

Hi Tieleader,

There are two notable variations in those fuselage codes. I suspect you're already aware that the first two characters of the codes denote the squadron in the group. For the 398th BG (triangle-W) that was 600 BS - N8; 601 BS - 3O; 602 BS - K8; and 603 BS - N7.

The second variation is the position on the fuselage, which is what I suspect you're asking about. On these B-17Gs the right side waist gunner windows were staggered so that the gunners wouldn't bump each other while tracking targets. This left less room on the right side for the squadron codes, so many groups began moving the squadron codes forward beside the individual aircraft letter. On 3O*S the letter O is actually covering the crew access door; on 3O*O all three characters have been moved together.

I hope this answers your question...

Cheers,

Dana
Thank you. Never even occurred to me think about the waist positions! #-o

On This day 75 years ago. April 4th 1945. One f the more spectacular pictures from the air war was taken.

B-24M Liberator, ac 44-50838, blown in half by a R4M rocket from a Me 262 jet fighter, over Lauenberg, Germany, 4 April 1945. Only one of the crew, Technical Sergeant Charles Cupp, the radio operator survived to become a PoW. On 4th April, 1945, Liberators of the 2nd Air Division were attacked by Me-262 jet fighters. Aircraft from the 448th Bomb Group flying mission No.248 were to bomb jet airfields throughout Germany and forty-five aircraft from Seething attacked the secondary target at Wesendorf due to cloud cover over the primary target at Parchim. Approximately fifty German jet and rocket fighter aircraft engaged the formation causing a total loss of eight B-24 Liberators, three of which were from the 448th BG,

!USAAF+Ford+Willow+Run+B-24M+Liberator,+ac+44-50838,+blown+in+half+by+an+Me+262+jet+fighter,+4...jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back