Picture of the day. (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Los Alamos Scientific Laboratory, 21 August 1945. A critical assembly was being created by hand stacking 4.4 kg tungsten carbide bricks around the plutonium core. Figure shows a reenactment of the configuration with about half of the tungsten blocks in place. The lone experimenter, Harry Daghlian, was moving the final brick over the assembly for a total reflector of 236 kg when he noticed from the nearby neutron counters that the addition of this brick would make the assembly supercritical. As he withdrew his hand, the brick slipped and fell onto the center of the assembly, adding sufficient reflection to make the system superprompt critical. A power excursion occurred. He quickly pushed off the final brick and proceeded to unstack the assembly. His dose was estimated as 510 rem from a yield of 10*16 fissions. He died 28 days later. An Army guard assigned to the building, but not helping with the experiment, received a radiation dose of approximately 50 rem. The nickel canning on the plutonium core did not rupture.

View attachment 592363
I've heard about this. I had always thought it was an urban legend.

Paratroopers of the 82nd Airborne Division drop into the Newkoelln section of Berlin, August 21, 1945. Ninety-nine men of the division jumped to fulfill a pledge that one day they would parachute into the German capital.

The all-female pop group The Weather Girls rehearsing their top ten smash hit "Its Raining Men"

Histomil.com
bundesarchiv_bild_146-1981-070-15-_frankreich-_panzer_iv-jpg.592405
Bundesarchiv_Bild_146-1981-070-15,_Frankreich,_Panzer_IV.jpg

I've heard about this. I had always thought it was an urban legend.
I had heard about it but not the details. I was going to post a picture of his arm after a couple of days and what the radiation had done to it. I decided that the mods wouldnt allow a gore picture. But it did look like it had been burned from a flame. That radiation stuff is dangerous! (Like no kidding right?)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back