Picture of the day. (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I've seen fabric patches on standard Boston-bombers from the 47-th BG. but from later days:

That's what I was referring to.

World War Photos

d13f51e4248aa40e0bb9843cb6b28a68-jpg.jpg

"Would you kindly remove your water canteen from my aileron mass balance as I want to begin my pre-flight! And would someone please find my nose cowls so I can get out of here?!"

Marine guards posted around a damaged TBD Devastator torpedo bomber at Ewa Field (courtesy of John Voss).​

According to John Bennett of the Coast Defense Study Group, "The aircraft was plane #8 of Squadron VT-6 (Torpedo 6) assigned to the U.S.S. Enterprise,​

and it was involved in a mid-air collision with another Torpedo 6 TBD off the coast of southwest Oahu prior to the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor.​

The landed at Camp Malakole near Barbers Point & was being guarded by members of the federalized 251st Coast Artillery (AA) Regiment of the California National Guard.​

The downed plane was towed to Ewa Field from Camp Malakole."

Note the damaged Canopy & vertical Stab​

Source Abandoned & Little-Known Airfields

1603460878509.png

French DB-7 (A-20 Havoc) with early style twin fins. Around 1940.
This is at Floyd bennet Field, New York City.

View attachment 599279
Thanks for the memories. I was a sea explorer as a teen. My Sea Explorer Ship, 501, Boy Scouts of America, was sponsored by Naval Aircraft Station New York (aka Floyd Bennett Field).
That really cheered me up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back