Picture of the day. (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

The sign reads: This battle is sponsored by Coca-Cola.

A strange beginning and brilliant ending. The photo shows the key members of the V2 team including Dornberger and von Braun. This was taken May 3, 1945 when the core scientists of the V2 project surrendered to the Americans. (von Braun had been in an auto accident a few weeks before and still had his arm in a cast.) They were part of about 1,600 scientists and engineers that were ultimately brought to the United States under 'Operation Paperclip.' Scientists from many fields were part of Paperclip but the most 'valuable' (in the eyes of the military) were the V2 scientists. They were key members of the U.S. missile and space program, starting with V2 rockets brought to the U.S. for testing just after the war, and culminating in the Apollo moon landings in 1969. (Most of the missile scientists became U.S. citizens.) The Cold War race was on.

Attachments

• Dornberger-Axster-von_Braun.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 41
  • Apollo_11.jpg
    217.3 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:
What on earth inspired to that 'thing' under his nose?
That style of mustache ('toothbrush mustache') was common during the latter part of the 19th century and first part of the 20th century. Men who thought their noses were too big often wore one of these, and it does, indeed, seem to 'balance' out a big nose. Hitler thought his nose was too big and started wearing one at some point. The style became VERY UNPOPULAR after WWII, and you can guess why.

I've seen this photo many times
I think so. The quality of the shots and of course subject matter are very similar.

and 10 years later.....

View attachment 252886
I think so. The quality of the shots and of course subject matter are very similar.

and 10 years later.....

View attachment 252886
I've seen this photo of the massive gathering many times and have always wondered where the porta-potties were. Can you imagine being in the middle of this crowd about 2 hours after eating a bad bratwurst? Considering the size of the thing there must be at least a couple of hundred people in the crowd at any time that need to 'spend a penny' really, really badly. Just my odd thoughts.

Users who are viewing this thread