Picture of the day.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

These are actually A-36 dive bombers, the first incarnation of the P-51. They had Allision V1710 engines. With a few modifications and the insertion of a Merlin engine, you have the P-51A.
The A-36 had 6 .50 Cal machine guns, two of which were located in the cowling under the engine. These have no nose guns and appear to have four 20mm Cannon in the wings. I believe these were ordered by the British as Mustang Mk IA and were then held back by the USAAF after Pearl Harbor. The designation would be the rare P-51 or P-51-1. It was the later P-51A, which was the first fighter version ordered directly by the USAAF, that was re-engined with the Merlin to become the P-51B.

Th

These are actually A-36 dive bombers, the first incarnation of the P-51. They had Allision V1710 engines. With a few modifications and the insertion of a Merlin engine, you have the P-51A.
The first incarnation of the North American NA-73 was the Mustang Mk I, built for the RAF.
P-51A still had the Allison engine.
Production Merlin Mustangs started with the P-51B.

What was the sighting distance?
Was ther more than a single bullseye?

It's was more complicated than simply bore-sighting on a single 'bullseye'. There was a whole scheme called 'harmonization' where the projectile paths converged and then diverged, beyond a certain distance. The chart below is a gun harmonization chart for a P-47 and should give you an idea of what was required.

P47_gun_harmonization.jpg

It's was more complicated than simply bore-sighting on a single 'bullseye'. There was a whole scheme called 'harmonization' where the projectile paths converged and then diverged, beyond a certain distance. The chart below is a gun harmonization chart for a P-47 and should give you an idea of what was required.

View attachment 615807
Wow, that w a s 7 years ago. No wonder I didn't remember!

InterestING tho, thanks.

Last edited:
Amazing images as always. Going a few posts back, the tank in Berlin is no longer there - sadly. The Soviets had little memorials to different things all round the city and most are gone, although the Soviet War Memorial at Treptower Park still exists, with its pillars of Carrara marble robbed from the ruins of Hitlers Chancellery. If the tank is the same as the one I'm thinking of, after re-unification, a graffiti artist painted it and used it in an art installation and then I think, it was scrapped. There is a T-34 and a few other things at Karlshorst, where the 'official' surrender of the German army took place on 8 May 1945. The building is now a museum and has artefacts from the Soviet occupation in it. The T-34 is mounted on a plinth with Russian writing - it might be the same one, but I'm not sure; I'll have to dig out my Berlin photos to have a look.

I wonder who the chap is behind him? Is it Lindemann?
Looks like Halifax, to me. Was he still in the cabinet then?

That's Prof. R.V. Jones.

Jones was quite a character. You should read his 'Most Secret War', if you haven't already. One of the things about him (from the book) that makes me chuckle is that he was a very early pioneer in the use of the 'crank phone call' for personal entertainment. The book is worth reading for this hilarity alone.

Wow, that w a s 7 years ago. No wonder I didn't remember!

InterestING tho, thanks.
My New Year's Resolution was to go through the 900 pages of these photos and posts on this thread. Bored today, so some will hear voices through a time machine. I'm amazed at what I've found here. One of the most interesting 'threads' I've ever encountered on any type of forum. Addictive.

Many interesting pics, MM :)

Shanghai bombing_outside_the_palace_hotel-jpg.615888

ROC announced that they had bombed the Shanghai International Settlement "mistakenly".
They did not mind the zone from the beginning IMO.

Japanese and Chinese ladies shop together in occupied zone
View attachment 615921

日華携手 共逐赤魔 Let's deport the Red Devils together.
官民協力 立建東亜 Let's build the East Asia together.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back