Pieces Horsa found at Arnhem

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Jeroen

Recruit
May 26, 2004
www.ww2awards.com
http://www.geocities.com/tjoeki2002/Doc1.html?1085597524390
These pieces of glider material were found last Thursday at Landing Zone 'L' in Arnhem ('Johanna Hoeve'). This area was used during the battle of Arnhem as a landing zone for 30 gliders which flew in from Keevil and Tarrant Rushton to bring the Transport, Anti Tank Guns, Medics etc. of the 1st Polish Independent Parachute Brigade Group on September 19th (D+2), about 15:15.

After the battle the gliders were set on fire by the Germans, and most of the pieces of the gliders were burnt. But some remain pieces, as I said, were found last Thursday.

Now my question. I attached a photo of the things that were found. My question is if anyone can tell me more about the information on the discs? I would be very pleased to get much as information as possible.

Also I want to know if there is a refence were I can find what those modification numbers mean. Where were they used for.

First metal tag:
HORSA
WALW/AS74
DRG N0634029
MODS
ISS6

Second metal tag:
HORSA
CHBL/AS/S272

Third metal tag:
HORSA
Serial No. 3159

I hope that we can identify the aircraft, pilots and their load at one time or link them to a Chalk Number.

Best regards,

Jeroen
Arnhem, Holland

G'day Jeroen!

Did you ever get the info you requested?

The only one I'm sure of is the DWG NO - Drawing no. (design no.), and the MODS is possibly Ministry of Defence Stores/ Stock, or something similar.

The AS could refer to Airspeed, the manufacturer, as you probably already know ( The Horsa was the Airspeed AS.51)

Evan

Users who are viewing this thread

Back