Pilot of plane that bombed Hiroshima dies

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I guess with the Soviets closing in from the East and the Allieds on the west...All could see it was over soon.. And the Germans people were not so crazy about fighting to the death as Japan was...

....so crazy about fighting to the death as Japan was...

I would like to note that if dying was the creed of Bushido, that should've possesed only by the Samurai class which occupied less than 10 per cent of the total population of Japan in Edo era, up until less than 80 years before the thing occured. Taking one's responsibility by Harakiri was just limited for that class people.

To my best knowledge others including farmers, merchants and workers were not allowed to carry weapons of such kind hence no such undertaking was conducted in these classes.

The Allied staff would have been going on what had happened on Iwo Jima and Okinawa; assuming the Japanese would fight to the last man, woman and child.

I cannot remember where I read that all surplus Japanese aircraft had been made into human-guided bombs; something in the region of 17,000 'planes' were found when the U.S occupied the island.

We should all realise that not every person in Japan would fight, and not all would fight to the death (there were Japanese prisoners, if only a few) but the numbers of combatants (professional militia) on the Japanese homeland would have made the resistance in Germany look minimal.

I cannot remember where I read that all surplus Japanese aircraft had been made into human-guided bombs; something in the region of 17,000 'planes' were found when the U.S occupied the island.

In David Jablownski's epic book "Airwar" he stated that there were about 8,000 combat aircraft on the mainland with "thousands" of others to be used for suicide missions.

As I posted earlier on the this thread that the atom bombs and Soviet's breaking out in northeast China finally convinced Japan to take an unconditional surrender in August 1945.

This political decision making was led by the cabinet members who, though very secretly, believed in to bring the fighting to end. If the cabinet or the government was not so, which was still quite possible to happen, and still insisted on fighting, there could be a doubt whether the atom bombs alone would really made Japan to on her knees.

Then what would happen thereafter?. That is what I am scared to think of.

Following is an information only.
The ground combat took place in Okinawa in early 1945 stoods out in our war history. Not only the sacrifices were made, but also many people there killed themselves not to surrender to the Americans. It has been commonly recognized in Japan that to do so was ordered by Japanese military there. But recently a doubt on this reasoning caused a political devate which developed into a critical one (there are a pile of other political issues of course).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back