Pilot seat 1938 with stamps

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

bfrmilitaria

Recruit
Aug 15, 2016
Hi, help any idea from which Aircraft is this big seat Many thanks for any information
IMG_0419.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0420.JPG
    IMG_0420.JPG
    177.1 KB · Views: 211
  • IMG_0421.JPG
    IMG_0421.JPG
    187.2 KB · Views: 221
  • IMG_0423.JPG
    IMG_0423.JPG
    138 KB · Views: 210
  • IMG_0425.JPG
    IMG_0425.JPG
    121.4 KB · Views: 196
  • IMG_0426.JPG
    IMG_0426.JPG
    109.9 KB · Views: 189
  • IMG_0427.JPG
    IMG_0427.JPG
    132.2 KB · Views: 190
I researched 'VPA' from the part stamp to see if it correlated to either an aircraft manufacturer, supplier, or perhaps a code identifying the type of airplane it was used on and came up empty. I thought this might at least point you in a direction. V.P.A. is most definitely an acronym. I originally thought it might be the manufacturer code for the Vega Aircraft Corporation but no. Next closest would be either British (Vickers-Armstrong, founded in 1927) or a Russian manufacturer such as the Voronezh Aircraft Production Association which was founded in 1932 but that's IF it's indeed a manufacturers code. It could very likely be the supplier code or some other code. Would very much like to hear back if anything is confirmed.

Last edited:
If it is British, I would try to contact Duxford Air Museum outside Cambridge in the UK, they have a huge aircraft restoration shop and they probably have a good idea. Worst case, next time I am there, I can look at all the seats.
I would bet one could send an email to the Duxford Museum with the photos attached and ask for their assistance.

I researched 'VPA' from the part stamp to see if it correlated to either an aircraft manufacturer, supplier, or perhaps a code identifying the type of airplane it was used on and came up empty. I thought this might at least point you in a direction. V.P.A. is most definitely an acronym. I originally thought it might be the manufacturer code for the Vega Aircraft Corporation but no. Next closest would be either British (Vickers-Armstrong, founded in 1927) or a Russian manufacturer such as the Voronezh Aircraft Production Association which was founded in 1932 but that's IF it's indeed a manufacturers code. It could very likely be the supplier code or some other code. Would very much like to hear back if anything is confirmed.
Hi many thanks for Your help

Reading this made me shudder. Imagine if 1) someone at Duxford could ID the seat, and 2) someone needed one for a restoration. It could end up flying again. It's a one in a million, but that would bring tears to my eyes for sure.

-Irish

Try 1939 Suppliers to the Aircraft Industry - Graces Guide or see if you can find a copy of the Aeroplane production yearbook OR Aeroplane Directory of the Aviation and Allied Industries for several years like 1941 , 43, 45 in a library. Being in the UK you have a good chance - check first in worldcat.org to see where copies are. AEROPLANE PRODUCTION YEARBOOK AND MANUAL. (Journal, magazine) [WorldCat.org] and Results for 'Aeroplane Directory of the Aviation and Allied Industries' [WorldCat.org]

If you find a PDF of any of them please post it here as the one daggy copy I have is occasionally a valuable reference.

EDIT Start with Aeroplane Production Year Book And Manual : Williamson G. W. : Free Download, Borrow, and Streaming : Internet Archive for a 1943 version - I only just found this so do not know if it is of use.

If you are feeling rich Amazon have a used one for sale It would be mine if I could afford it. You might need to turn off adblockers to see it.
Amazon product ASIN B003KDRLMO
View: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B003KDRLMO/

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back