Dedalos,
I'm going to have to challenge your bolded comments.
Have you ever shot down a plane? Coincidentally enough, most of the guys in WW2 hadn't either until the first time. And then only one doesn't make you a pro at it. Put yourself in a fighter, you get into a fight, and by luck or skill end up in a shooting position on an enemy aircraft. Your adrenaline is through the roof, you are scared shitless that an unobserved guy is going to get you, and you want to make sure this plane / target goes down.
In the F15 we talked about getting engaged (into a fight) with a single and how much ordnance you would expend. There were quite a few guys who used the "friends of industry" mentality or would way over shoot at a guy as it might be your only chance during a career. I flew the Eagle for 17 years, did five rotations to the Middle East in it, and the closest I came to any bad guy was 23 miles, and lucky for him he stayed on his side of the line. He was the only one in 106 combat missions that got inside range of my weapons.
There is also a phenomenon known as target fixation in which you can become so focused on a target that you miss or fail to observe something going on in close proximity. Have you seen one of those video clips where you are asked what happened, and you realize you missed the guy dressed like a gorilla who walked right through the middle of the skit? It happens and it happens a lot.
I have read where all sides gunned guys in chutes with no one side seeming to stand out.
Be careful judging what the man in the arena is doing when one has never set foot there.
And if I were to cast dispersions upon a side, I might lean towards the one that tried extermination of a particular group, or one that was defensive, who was routinely getting the crap bombed out of them, and was retreating or giving up their homelands.
Biff