Pilots u know!

Whic plane would u have flown?

• Total voters

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks! I was trying to figure out what avatar to have next so i thought about America's most decorated soldier in WWII, Audie Murphy.

Also because the guys that do changing of the guard at Arlington are with the 3rd infantry.

i was fortunate enough to meet tommy williams a ww1 ace 14 kills ,rum runner in prohibition and test pilot for fleet aircraft in ww 2 when he was in his 80's he used to take off in his fleet 10 i believe and looped it right after take off

I do not think that the Old Guard that guards the tomb of the unknown soldier is actually from 3rd Infantry Division. As far as I know they are 3rd Infantry Regiment. They even wear a different patch than 3rd ID. I may be wrong but that is not what I thought.

more pilots.

ace Oskar Bösch wiuth 19 kills although he is only creditied with 18. still flies gliders professionally out of Canada.

Attachments

• boesch_sign_171.jpg
    boesch_sign_171.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 552
war time pic of him while in 14.Sturm/JG 3 flying heavy SturmFw's, scored one of the last kills of the war when the Soviet fighter pilot decided to ram Oskar Sturm head on. the Soviet pilot and craft nearly vaporized, Oskar bailed out and captured by the Soviets later escaping and walking all the way home to Austria

Attachments

• wwboesch_394.jpg
    wwboesch_394.jpg
    7.2 KB · Views: 557
Where in Canada does he fly from? Do you know if he's ever performed with his glider at airshows? I've seen an ex-Luftwaffe pilot from WWII perform in a glider, and the name rings a bell.

thats probably him. has been doing air shows for many many years Skim. A very neat guy....

to get him over on the west coast is a rarity

I met this guy when I was in elementary school - he used to come by in his WW1 uniform. His Camel is on display at the USAF museum at Daytom OH.

From the site "The Airdrome."

Before enlisting in the army, Vaughn learned to fly while attending Princeton University in 1917. He completed his flight training in England and was posted to 84 Squadron as an S.E.5a pilot in May 1918. Before his transfer to the United States Air Service on 27 August, he scored 7 victories while serving with the Royal Air Force. Vaughn scored his first two victories with the 17th Pursuit Squadron on 22 September 1918. Twice that day, he engaged Fokker D.VIIs, downing Friedrich Noltenius of Jasta 27 and Karl Bauerbfeind of Jasta 34 before his own Sopwith Camel was shot down by Wilhelm Neuenhofen of Jasta 27. Vaughn scored 4 more victories by the end of the war.

Attachments

• vaughn_468.jpg
    vaughn_468.jpg
    5.4 KB · Views: 539
Fly am I assuming that Vaughn flew his Sop down and crashlanded when shot down by the German ?

another chap from 13.Sturm/JG 3, ace Walter Hagenah who probably flew the first air to air rocket mission when he vaporized 1 Mustang with his R4M's on his Me 262 !

Attachments

• hagenahviabrown_115.jpg
    hagenahviabrown_115.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 543
another German ace from the Sturmgruppen of JG 3. RK winner Will Unger who passed away this June 2005. Will was always very kind to respond to my tons of questions with the help of his lovely daughter as Will was fighting a combination of physical problems.

Attachments

• ungerrk_151.jpg
    ungerrk_151.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 535
Erich said:
Fly am I assuming that Vaughn flew his Sop down and crashlanded when shot down by the German ?

:lol: Yes - I'm assuming the one at the museum was his replacement mount.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back