Pinnacle of achievement for piston engined aircraft in WWII (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Well Davidicuss, nice little burst of humour there, but if you'd read up some facts, the Hornet was actually wood AND metal constructed...

In fact it was the first type of aircraft in which wood was cemented to metal, a unique method only possible by using a revolutionary new adhesive they had developed then, called Redux....so what the British achieved using WOOD, where there was a shortage of specific metal, and then later using both to create what was one of the world's fastest and most manoevrable piston-engined aircraft, can be seen as nothing less than brilliant....
Furthermore, you would have to look deeply in that era to find... [if you could], a twin that could fly on just one engine as effortlessly as the Hornet did...even with both engines feathered, it was outstanding....it was called ''glide'', something all-metal aircraft had relative difficulty with in the absence of a lot of power....

I feel they hit it right on the button with these two De Havilland aircraft...the Japanese had some of the formula, in the lightness of their aircraft, but the Mosquito and Hornet had that special balance, that gave real power, Merlin power, with an economy, range, durability and ordinance-delivery, that made them Legends......

Really like that new siggy, Lanc...

Attachments

• hornet_in_feathered_flight_191.jpg
    hornet_in_feathered_flight_191.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 550
What's that? Wood and metal? Well, in that case please accept my apology along with the following revisions:

"Pinnacles of Aviation Carpentry with some metal buttressing thrown in for good measure"

"Woodshop 101 - From sapling to flight with the help of some sheet metal "

"Termites and the RAF - The hidden war waged amongst a few metal cross-members"

"You may see a tree and a wheel barrow but I see a multi-engined fighter/attack bomber - Visionaries of flight"

"Whittling your way to air supremacy with the aid of a metal lathe"

"With my wooden leg and this shovel, we can build a Hornet and fly out of this prison camp - The Great Escape from Stalag 2"

we've been through this before, it's the lightening that stripped the F8F of it's standing stop to 10,000ft record..............

Ohh, Lightening, as in making it lighter. I see. And what, pray tell, was this lightening; exactly what was removed? And what would be your source for that particular piece of information?

And I still am not aware of any other late WWII piston engined airplane that did duplicate the events, are you?

Regards,

Rich

Gemhorse said:

"...in which wood was cemented to metal, a unique method only possible by using a revolutionary new adhesive they had developed then, called Redux ..."

Now if the Brits had just concentrated all that know how on making an effective toothpaste, they wouldn't be the brunt of all those bad teeth jokes. Of course, it has to be acknowledged that this technology did advance the science of denture adhesion which inured to the benefit of the British people.

Indeed I don't think I've ever heard a more stupid, American joke.

I was thinking that instead of having aircraft named "Spitfire" "Hurricane" "Typhoon" and "Hornet", it would have been more fitting if they named their aircraft:

Supermarine Cavity

Gingivitis Mk. IV

Hawker Halitosis

De Haviland Denture

Hey enough attacking each other, it was a friendly joke (I hope! :shock: )

Anyway DAVIDICUS, bloody hilarious! :lol: (I am actually a Brit, despite the Italian flag...its just my wishful thinking)

R Leonard said:
Ohh, Lightening, as in making it lighter. I see. And what, pray tell, was this lightening; exactly what was removed? And what would be your source for that particular piece of information?

And I still am not aware of any other late WWII piston engined airplane that did duplicate the events, are you?

Regards,

Rich

Forgive the lanc his bad spelling. He means the English Electric Lightning (Not the P-38 Lightning, in case you were thinking of that...) Although it doesnt really mean much when he says it climbed faster than an F8F, because it was a jet.

I am really only kidding of course.

While I am an American, I am of Italian ancestry and plead guilty to the implications of all Italian jokes.

well he said that no other plane could climb too 10,000ft in under a minute or something like that, so i was simply pointing out the fact that the lightening could do it quicker........

He actually said it would be "tough to beat". My guess is he was referring in general to piston planes. Im sure many jets can beat it.

the lancaster kicks ass said:
hehe sorry meant the bearcat, the sea fury was equal if not better than the bearcat.........

First of all, the SeaFury did not participate as a "combatant" in WWII. It was never deployed. The Bearcat was, it just didn't reach the combat zone in time (by days).

Secondly, The Bearcat could turn circles around the Seafury, and out climb the hell out of it as well. The Seafury (Mk.10) was a little faster than the Bearcat but not that much.

=S=

Lunatic

Guys.... WOOD generally means heavier, not lighter!

It takes more weight in wood to achieve the same strength as in duraluminum.

For an example, look at the Yak's, the U models made of metal were lighter (though often this savings was then used to add more systems and/or fuel to the plane, making it heavier).

=S=

Lunatic

Users who are viewing this thread

Back