Pinnacle of achievement for piston engined aircraft in WWII

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Yeah, but if you are in a Mosquito or Hornet, you can always bite on a chunk of splintered wood that resulted from that 20mm cannon round that blew up next to your arm to get a grip on the pain eminating from your bleeding stump.

Try that with a piece of aluminum. :lol:

It's decent, but not fantastic. It is just a Tempest II in an RN uniform.

The Bearcat is a much smaller plane with a higher power-weight ratio and lower wingloading (and shorter range). It is also the best of what Grumman had learned building the Wildcat and Hellcat plus what they stole off the FW190A.

=S=

Lunatic

That was probably it for the Sea Fury's Lanc, although Hawker's fastest ever piston-engined aircraft was a prototype Sea Fury, LA610, which had the Centaurus replaced by a Sabre VII, and clocked around 485 mph....a real nice looking aircraft it was too, with just a slight scoop under the 4 bladed prop, compared to the big radiators the Typhoon/Tempest's had...I don't know why they didn't pursue it further...jet-age I guess....

The Reno Air Races around 1970's-80's evoked some changes to Sea Fury's, when Lloyd Hamilton and Frank Saunders raced their Furies with Pratt Whitney R-4360 ''corn-cob'' engines in place of the Centaurus, mainly because there was no adequate repair facilities and skilled people to work on the Bristol sleeve-valve engines...Called ''Super Sea Fury's'', these two battled away....Saunder's one, called ''Dreadnought'' won the Unlimited Class championship in 1983 with a speed of 446.392 mph...Seems it was a real interesting period there, they had F8F's, Corsairs, Mustangs and Furies all racing....I still catch tit-bits of the races in the ''Classic Wings'' magazine down here.....

Attachments

• raf_487__nz__sqn._-_on_the_hunt..._396.jpg
    raf_487__nz__sqn._-_on_the_hunt..._396.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 188
Doesn't this mean he has to buy a round of beers for everyone?

Poor Sh-ter, I (almost) 'pity the fool', as Mr T puts it..
If only he'd learn to do a fact check.. or in fact take on board some actual knowledge..

On a technical subject though, isn't it true.. that 'US beer is so weak, that by the time its run out of the bottle neck, its exhausted'?
Or it that just what Canadians say?

Edit: I note that a certain Sh-ter like member (BLine .22) has just disliked this post, funnily enough..
Some U.S. beer is crap, just like any other country's - but there are some that are exceptional, like Samual Adam's Boston Lager, which is one of the few non-German beers in the world that meets the German Purity law of 1516.

This is all true and the engineers thought that the Mossy airframe could be between 15 and 20% lighter if it were made from Aluminum and mildew would not destroy it prematurely?

I cant quite believe I am responding to one of Shitters gormless witterings but here goes

Empty weight of a Mosquito bomber with single stage engines was about 13,000pounds. I wonder why no one managed to build a lighter twin engine bomber out of Aluminium if it was so easy. As for Mildew destroying the airframe come on everyone knows Great Britain weather is warm, dry and low humidity where would the mildew come from. Unless it was a plot by some secret agent who was playing the long game and prepared for his evil plan to take 20 years to come to fruition.

I feel dirty now

Some U.S. beer is crap, just like any other country's - but there are some that are exceptional, like Samual Adam's Boston Lager, which is one of the few non-German beers in the world that meets the German Purity law of 1516.

20 years ago the average US beer was dreadful with all the taste and body of coloured fizzzy water. Now the rise of the microbrewery means taste has come back to the US I have recently tried several US craft beers and was blown away by how good they were.

20 years ago the average US beer was dreadful with all the taste and body of coloured fizzzy water. Now the rise of the microbrewery means taste has come back to the US I have recently tried several US craft beers and was blown away by how good they were.

My understanding is that US Prohibition killed the independent breweries.
Post Prohibition the US was left with industrial homogenized swill.

A lot of people did, they just weren't as good :)
Douglas DB7s with R-1830s
Russian PE-2s
Japanese KI-48
Others???
B25 Mitchell.

All have defensive armament, as soon as you put defensive guns on you get a bigger heavier plane.

I am sure North American could have designed a twin engined metal bomber to rival the Mosquito if they could get anyone to think past the idea of a bomber with no guns.

• Even the NA-40 prototype of the B-25 went almost 14,000lbs empty. Trying for 14,000lbs empty with a pair of R-2600s might take a bit of doing. You have about 3900lbs just for the bare(dry weight) engines. Even the starters and generators add weight.
  • Planes listed had 3-4 man crews and pretty much hand aimed RCMGs so defensive armament isn't going to get much lighter.
  • Point is there doesn't seem to be 3-4,000 lbs of empty weight (airframe) to spare OK n any of the small bombers that were made.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back