Piper cub, artillary spotting training [request]

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

proton45

Senior Airman
Jan 30, 2007
Massachusetts
I'm curious if their is any Army training material from WW2 on the subject of "Artillery Spotting" and flying the little Piper cubs? I have seen a couple of books that I might try and pick-up Janey: A little Plane in a Big War--WWII Artillery Spotting and Flying Low and Shot Down Twice: WWII Artillery Spotting. But I'm curious if their is any (training) films, or booklets?

thanks...

p.s. The Korean war would be ok too...

I saw the Piper flight manuals,maintenance book and such...but I'm wondering if the army had a course in artillery/ armor spotting? Things like optimal approach altitudes,the types of camouflage the Germans used to hide flak batteries, search flight patterns...I'm also curious what might have been included in a course. Has anyone seen US Army or RAF information on these topics? Thanks again...

Last edited:
I'm really surprised that the army had no official training on this subject (that we know of?)... Its such a fascinating and dangerous job these fellows did. They where unsung hero's who where loved by the guys on the ground... How many lives did these guys save?

Hi proton,

Well I thought I had something on this subject but I cant seem to find it. If I do I will post it.

Mmm...thanks for the effort. I'm starting to wonder if it was a "black art" (in WW2). One would think that by the time the Korean war or Vietnam happened that their would be some type of curriculum for teaching aerial artillery spotting...

Users who are viewing this thread