Planes of Fame Airshow May 5-6th!!

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

JJWilson

Airman
Mar 21, 2018
Hello everyone, in a months time, Planes of Fame Air Museum in Chino, CA will be having it's Annual Airshow. I have been attending this airshow since 2009, and I have yet to miss a year. It is a unique airshow in that the entire airshow revolves around WW2 Warbids, along with Golden Age aircraft and a few modern military and aerobatic demonstrations as well. I would argue that the airshow there is the best Warbird focused airshow in the U.S, with the Reno air races and Oshkosh EAA Air venture right behind it. The Museum owns and fly's the worlds only Original Sakae Japanese A6M Zero, the only flying N9MB Flying wing, only flying P-26 Peashooter, and the only flying PB4Y Privateer as well. The Airshow always has at least 40 Warbirds of all types, and all nations, P-51's, Hellcat's, Spitfires, Yak's, Zero's, FW-190, F7F Tigercat etc. I highly recommend this airshow to anyone who loves Warbirds (Which should be everyone reading this!), it is absolutely worth the travel and money. For Further information, here is the link to the Museum's Airshow........PLANES OF FAME - Planes of Fame Air Show General Information

Hello everyone, in a months time, Planes of Fame Air Museum in Chino, CA will be having it's Annual Airshow. I have been attending this airshow since 2009, and I have yet to miss a year. It is a unique airshow in that the entire airshow revolves around WW2 Warbids, along with Golden Age aircraft and a few modern military and aerobatic demonstrations as well. I would argue that the airshow there is the best Warbird focused airshow in the U.S, with the Reno air races and Oshkosh EAA Air venture right behind it. The Museum owns and fly's the worlds only Original Sakae Japanese A6M Zero, the only flying N9MB Flying wing, only flying P-26 Peashooter, and the only flying PB4Y Privateer as well. The Airshow always has at least 40 Warbirds of all types, and all nations, P-51's, Hellcat's, Spitfires, Yak's, Zero's, FW-190, F7F Tigercat etc. I highly recommend this airshow to anyone who loves Warbirds (Which should be everyone reading this!), it is absolutely worth the travel and money. For Further information, here is the link to the Museum's Airshow........PLANES OF FAME - Planes of Fame Air Show General Information
Is Bob Pond associated with the show. His B-17 is named "Miss Angela".

He was never a massive part of the show, but a few of his aircraft did fly, I'm not sure about the B-17 though, he died I believe a decade ago as well. The Airshow has actually become considerably more successful and larger since then, but without men like Mr. Pond it's hard to see Planes of Fame being as big as it is today.

He was never a massive part of the show, but a few of his aircraft did fly, I'm not sure about the B-17 though, he died I believe a decade ago as well. The Airshow has actually become considerably more successful and larger since then, but without men like Mr. Pond it's hard to see Planes of Fame being as big as it is today.
Bob had his aircraft on display at Flying Cloud Airport here in the Twin Cities prior to moving them to California. The name "Planes of Fame" headlined his display. I helped crew "Miss Angela" and spent many weekends answering questions from those viewing the B-17. Was not aware that he passed away. Good luck on the 2018 Air Show.

Bob had his aircraft on display at Flying Cloud Airport here in the Twin Cities prior to moving them to California. The name "Planes of Fame" headlined his display. I helped crew "Miss Angela" and spent many weekends answering questions from those viewing the B-17. Was not aware that he passed away. Good luck on the 2018 Air Show.
Wow that's amazing you were able to be a part of the crew, is it still an airworthy 17? I believe, but I can't confirm this, that Bob and Ed Maloney, the Museum's founder, were friends and that might be a reason for the cooperation. I'm sorry that you did not hear about his passing right away, it seems like he was good man.

Wow that's amazing you were able to be a part of the crew, is it still an airworthy 17? I believe, but I can't confirm this, that Bob and Ed Maloney, the Museum's founder, were friends and that might be a reason for the cooperation. I'm sorry that you did not hear about his passing right away, it seems like he was good man.
"Miss Angela" was air worthy when here but was not in the air very often. It was flown to Seattle for an air show. The turbo-superchargers were inoperative so the pilot was concerned about altitude flight and took the southern route. I did not make this trip.The aircraft was named after Bob's daughter. With the exception of the top turret, it was original.

Since the vast majority of the planes at the airshow appear to be "resident" aircraft stationed at the museum, I generally only attend every third year. The airshow is pricing my out of the loop being retired on a fixed income. I always look forward to Veterans Day when I get get into the Planes of Fame free. Thank you for your efforts to keep the fleet in the air!

Since the vast majority of the planes at the airshow appear to be "resident" aircraft stationed at the museum, I generally only attend every third year. The airshow is pricing my out of the loop being retired on a fixed income. I always look forward to Veterans Day when I get get into the Planes of Fame free. Thank you for your efforts to keep the fleet in the air!
It was a fun time.

I'm a member at PoF and have an air show ticket with your name on it if you're able to attend this year. The last living Doolittle Raider, Lt. Col. Dick Cole, will be there at 102 years old. He was Jimmy Doolittle's right seat on the mission. More recently, he was given the honor of officially naming the successor to the B-2, the B-21 'Raider', in honor of the Doolittle Raiders. Just the chance to meet him makes this year worth attending IMO.

If the air show doesn't work out, take a look at the following schedule:
PLANES OF FAME - 2018 Schedule of Events

The 1st Saturday of every month (except for May due to the air show) is called "Living History Flying Day" - a particular aircraft is featured and a presentation is given starting at 10am. PoF's historian, Kevin Thompson, goes above and beyond on the presentation quality - veterans and/or persons of note to that particular aircraft are included, even if it means they are phoned in from across the country. For the N9MB "Flying Wing" presentation, Jack Northrop's grandson was there (in addition to the three Northrop Grumman employees brought in to give a presentation about the B-2) to tell stories about "Grandpa Jack". About 15 minutes later it's already 12 o'clock and the crowd migrates outside the hangar to see the featured aircraft start-up, taxi, and perform a flying demonstration. Then everyone is free to browse the museum as usual. Both the P-47 and P-51 (among others) are coming up in the months following the air show.

Also keep in mind the 1st Tuesday of every month Planes of Fame hosts the 'Kilroy Coffee Klatch' where all veterans and their guests are admitted FREE. Complimentary coffee and doughnuts are provided during the event from 9am - 11am. A special presentation (currently about the museum's rare aircraft) is typically given, then you're free to browse the museum. The next 'Kilroy' event is up May 1st.

PLANES OF FAME - _script-page-events

I'm a member at PoF and have an air show ticket with your name on it if you're able to attend this year. The last living Doolittle Raider, Lt. Col. Dick Cole, will be there at 102 years old. He was Jimmy Doolittle's right seat on the mission. More recently, he was given the honor of officially naming the successor to the B-2, the B-21 'Raider', in honor of the Doolittle Raiders. Just the chance to meet him makes this year worth attending IMO.

The 1st Saturday of every month (except for May due to the air show) is called "Living History Flying Day" - a particular aircraft is featured and a presentation is given starting at 10am. PoF's historian, Kevin Thompson, goes above and beyond on the presentation quality - veterans and/or persons of note to that particular aircraft are included, even if it means they are phoned in from across the country. For the N9MB "Flying Wing" presentation, Jack Northrop's grandson was there (in addition to the three Northrop Grumman employees brought in to give a presentation about the B-2) to tell stories about "Grandpa Jack". About 15 minutes later it's already 12 o'clock and the crowd migrates outside the hangar to see the featured aircraft start-up, taxi, and perform a flying demonstration. Then everyone is free to browse the museum as usual. Both the P-47 and P-51 (among others) are coming up in the months following the air show.

Also keep in mind the 1st Tuesday of every month Planes of Fame hosts the 'Kilroy Coffee Klatch' where all veterans and their guests are admitted FREE. Complimentary coffee and doughnuts are provided during the event from 9am - 11am. A special presentation (currently about the museum's rare aircraft) is typically given, then you're free to browse the museum. The next 'Kilroy' event is up May 1st.

Hello YGBSM, it's great to have another member here to give more info than the little I have. Truly Planes of Fame's airshow is one of the best in the country, and the museum is easily just as good, and houses some very rare pieces. I had the privilege of meeting Dick Cole at Oshkosh last year, and it was incredible meeting him and hearing his story. There are other veterans there of other conflicts and even nationalities so it's great to see the planes fly, see the museum, and hear veterans stories. Plus there is the tradition of me and my dad going to the local Farmerboys restaurant that houses the greatest Burger and Fry meal in the Universe!!

I believe, but I can't confirm this, that Bob and Ed Maloney, the Museum's founder, were friends and that might be a reason for the cooperation.

I don't know all the specifics of their association and/or friendship, but it was close enough that Bob Pond was unofficially considered part of Planes of Fame and his facility back in MN was considered "Planes of Fame East". Today, PoF has close cooperation with the Palm Springs Air Museum, which is where the Bob Pond collection went when he retired there (btw, the Palm Springs musuem is also very worth seeing in its own right and most of its collection is in air-conditioned hangars). Also, note the name of the hangar I circled in red above the B-17 exhibit, which is right next to the hangar named for Ed Maloney himself:

SuCaobZ.png

PoF tends to have stronger ties to other museums and collectors than the 'average' museum simply because of Fighter Rebuilders, the warbird restoration company owned & operated by the museum's president, Steven Hinton (co-located with the museum at Chino). Very few museums/organizations have the resources to maintain vintage warbirds or to do full restoration work, so many of them turn to Fighter Rebuilders to do that work. So PoF gets regular 'visiting aircraft' which are there for some sort of work to be done, and they become temporary exhibits (sometimes) in the process. Since so much of PoF's inventory is in flyable condition, they are also in the fortunate position to return the favor and support other museums and air shows simply by flying the aircraft to where they are needed. There's a good amount of "you scratch my back, I'll scratch yours" in the warbird world and everyone benefits from it. For example, I know PoF has previously shipped their authentic Zero all the way to Japan on loan and a few of their aircraft have also made the journey 'across the Pond' for European tours.

A brief article on Mr. Pond & his association w/ PoF:
Robert Pond, avid aviator collected World War II planes

Hello YGBSM, it's great to have another member here to give more info than the little I have. Truly Planes of Fame's airshow is one of the best in the country, and the museum is easily just as good, and houses some very rare pieces. I had the privilege of meeting Dick Cole at Oshkosh last year, and it was incredible meeting him and hearing his story. There are other veterans there of other conflicts and even nationalities so it's great to see the planes fly, see the museum, and hear veterans stories. Plus there is the tradition of me and my dad going to the local Farmerboys restaurant that houses the greatest Burger and Fry meal in the Universe!!

Thank you for the welcome! I agree that the air show is one of the best; it's easy to forget how spoiled we are in Southern California in that regard.

One of the things I like best about the museum is they are very focused on the veterans. As you probably already know, every museum presentation or event has featured at least one veteran, if not more. Plus more show up to the events - you don't have to look very far to find them. At the last 'Living History Day' the B-25 was featured, and as I was doing a walk-around of the B-25 on display before the presentation, I noticed a gentleman taking a good hard look at it - so I began a conversation with him. Turned out he flew PBJs in the Pacific and the B-25 we were looking at happened to be one of the airframes which took part in the DooLittle Raider anniversary launches from modern carriers. This particular B-25 was in the Army 'J' configuration, but it was more than close enough to bring back memories for this vet. It was great to hear stories from someone who flew the aircraft while looking at a beautifully restored example of the type which has literally won the Grand Champion Award at Oshkosh.

Then there's Wilbur, a fixture of the museum and frequently found under the left wing of the museum's B-17 Picadilly Lilly - he had a front-row seat to one of the most famous and tragic pictures taken in WW2 (as you'll see in the video):

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8Ez65pXl38

At a recent event, the museum featured a retired Air Force Colonel who flew C-47s in the Pacific during WW2. During his presentation he made a brief comment about while driving up to the airport he spotted what looked like a beautiful C-47 parked on the other side of the airport. He didn't say so, but you could tell he was a bit disappointed that it didn't seem to be part of the museum's collection. Well, he was correct - that C-47 didn't belong to PoF... it was part of the Commemorative Air Force collection, and PoF arranged to have it flown in from out of state so the Colonel could fly in his old plane again.

As for food... I'm partial to Flo's Airport Cafe for air show grub.

I don't know all the specifics of their association and/or friendship, but it was close enough that Bob Pond was unofficially considered part of Planes of Fame and his facility back in MN was considered "Planes of Fame East". Today, PoF has close cooperation with the Palm Springs Air Museum, which is where the Bob Pond collection went when he retired there (btw, the Palm Springs musuem is also very worth seeing in its own right and most of its collection is in air-conditioned hangars). Also, note the name of the hangar I circled in red above the B-17 exhibit, which is right next to the hangar named for Ed Maloney himself:

View attachment 489621

PoF tends to have stronger ties to other museums and collectors than the 'average' museum simply because of Fighter Rebuilders, the warbird restoration company owned & operated by the museum's president, Steven Hinton (co-located with the museum at Chino). Very few museums/organizations have the resources to maintain vintage warbirds or to do full restoration work, so many of them turn to Fighter Rebuilders to do that work. So PoF gets regular 'visiting aircraft' which are there for some sort of work to be done, and they become temporary exhibits (sometimes) in the process. Since so much of PoF's inventory is in flyable condition, they are also in the fortunate position to return the favor and support other museums and air shows simply by flying the aircraft to where they are needed. There's a good amount of "you scratch my back, I'll scratch yours" in the warbird world and everyone benefits from it. For example, I know PoF has previously shipped their authentic Zero all the way to Japan on loan and a few of their aircraft have also made the journey 'across the Pond' for European tours.

A brief article on Mr. Pond & his association w/ PoF:
Robert Pond, avid aviator collected World War II planes

Thank you for the welcome! I agree that the air show is one of the best; it's easy to forget how spoiled we are in Southern California in that regard.

One of the things I like best about the museum is they are very focused on the veterans. As you probably already know, every museum presentation or event has featured at least one veteran, if not more. Plus more show up to the events - you don't have to look very far to find them. At the last 'Living History Day' the B-25 was featured, and as I was doing a walk-around of the B-25 on display before the presentation, I noticed a gentleman taking a good hard look at it - so I began a conversation with him. Turned out he flew PBJs in the Pacific and the B-25 we were looking at happened to be one of the airframes which took part in the DooLittle Raider anniversary launches from modern carriers. This particular B-25 was in the Army 'J' configuration, but it was more than close enough to bring back memories for this vet. It was great to hear stories from someone who flew the aircraft while looking at a beautifully restored example of the type which has literally won the Grand Champion Award at Oshkosh.

Then there's Wilbur, a fixture of the museum and frequently found under the left wing of the museum's B-17 Picadilly Lilly - he had a front-row seat to one of the most famous and tragic pictures taken in WW2 (as you'll see in the video):

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8Ez65pXl38

At a recent event, the museum featured a retired Air Force Colonel who flew C-47s in the Pacific during WW2. During his presentation he made a brief comment about while driving up to the airport he spotted what looked like a beautiful C-47 parked on the other side of the airport. He didn't say so, but you could tell he was a bit disappointed that it didn't seem to be part of the museum's collection. Well, he was correct - that C-47 didn't belong to PoF... it was part of the Commemorative Air Force collection, and PoF arranged to have it flown in from out of state so the Colonel could fly in his old plane again.

As for food... I'm partial to Flo's Airport Cafe for air show grub.

Thanks for sharing this information. It brings back memories of my association with Planes Of Fame East. It was an enjoyable time in my life.

I've seen that interview many times, and got to hear Wilbur in person back in 2010, incredible. PoF as you mentioned is great in that cooperates and benefits from other museums and collections and does a fantastic job of involving veterans and the best hands in the field of Warbird mechanics and ownership. I Can't wait to go again this year, it'll be a blast, its the first time will be there all Saturday and Sunday too, so I get to see everything twice which I love, I film once, watch and enjoy the other.

I've seen that interview many times, and got to hear Wilbur in person back in 2010, incredible. PoF as you mentioned is great in that cooperates and benefits from other museums and collections and does a fantastic job of involving veterans and the best hands in the field of Warbird mechanics and ownership. I Can't wait to go again this year, it'll be a blast, its the first time will be there all Saturday and Sunday too, so I get to see everything twice which I love, I film once, watch and enjoy the other.
Sounds like a plan;)

Thanks for sharing this information. It brings back memories of my association with Planes Of Fame East. It was an enjoyable time in my life.

You're welcome. If you ever feel like participating again (this time with PoF 'West'), just let me know. I'll be happy to put you in touch with the right people. Travel can be an ordeal or not feasible, so PoF has ways you can participate from the comfort of your home. I've seen even a simple phone call put on speakerphone work very well. Or if you'd prefer to speak with other WW2 vets, PoF has quite a network they've built up over the years. During the last Corsair presentation they had a pilot call in from Missouri who actually flew the museum's Corsair in combat, with the combat logs to prove it.

Here's something that might interest a Bombardier. This is the '20 cent bombsight' which was used on the DooLittle Raid (this specific one didn't make the mission, but it's signed by Lt. Col. Cole). It served twin purposes (1) ensuring that a Norden bombsight would not fall into enemy hands and (2) it reduced the weight of the aircraft, which was especially important for the mission:

Qrz8OtF.jpg

I appreciate your offer of a ticket. Unfortuately I am working at the Orange Empire Railway Museum restoring a 1939 locomotive to operational status. We are close to the end so I am needed there! I will take advantage of the days during the month when I can get in!

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back