Please help to identify this MIG-3... (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Hello, folks from around the world. I've been searching the web trying to get any information about captured MIG-3s by the Finnish during the Winter War. In my collection, I have this YatMing 1:48 diecast showing a MIG3 with the Finnish Air Force roundel. Since I did not find any info about captured Mig-3 by the Finnish, I don't know if I should consider this model an historically acurate one. Thanks in advance for any help on that!

Attachments

• mig3.jpg
    mig3.jpg
    116.9 KB · Views: 439
Interesting. I found color profiles of MiG-3s with German and Romanian insignia but not with Finnish. But that doesn't mean there was none. In fact I think is very likely there was. Finns captured a number of different types of Soviet aircraft and pressed them into service with their Air Force. One type which immediately come's to my mind is LaGG-3 for example.

Last edited:
Unfortunately I haven't found any info about the captured MiG-1 or MiG-3 and used by Finland. Also I didn't find the plane type on a list of attached aircraft to the FAF. So it seems that it is a manufacturer's idea only. What is more if the MiG would be served in Finnish Air Force during WW2 and even later its camo was of the Black / Green / Blue-Grey scheme.

have a book at home about finnish airforce and if remeber correctly this plane is mentioned, will check when i get home from work

Here the same Paul. However I found out that Finland was talking with Germany about 22 MiGs for FAF.These could be captured by Germans.However the final result of that is unknown by me.

Last edited:
Here the same Paul. However I found out that Finland was talking with Germany about 22 MiGs for FAA.These could be captured by Germans.However the final result of that is unknown by me.

From what Ive read the Finnish only captured 3 LaGG's and I can find pictures of that. If they received 22 Mig's I would think there would be pictures every where. I wonder if the Mig's went to Romania instead as I can find pictures of Mig 3's in romanian colors.

You are right.These pictures of Romanian and Finnish LaGGs are well known. The same would be if Finland got these MiGs from Germany. I think that these captured ones were sent to Romania as you guess.

Last edited:
Here the same Paul. However I found out that Finland was talking with Germany about 22 MiGs for FAF.These could be captured by Germans.However the final result of that is unknown by me.

I have found in one book about MiG1 and MiG3 that probably in 1944 Germans tried to give Finns captured and airworth MiGs. The forst part of them was ready for sending.But Finland didn't want them at all.. The problem was solved by an allied air attack.All these planes were burnt.

It does not surprise me that this model is not accurate from the historical point of view, as I see from your very clarifying comments. It seems the manufacturer (YatMing) unfortunately doesn't care much for the precise details of the models. Recently, I was about to buy from YatMing a beautiful 1:48 diecast replicating the famous P-40 "Texas Longhorn", flown by John Landers. Then, just before picking it up I was warned by a friend that its painting scheme was totally incorrect.

Unfortunately the s*!t happens. That's way the best solution is to buy a plastic kit and make it correctly.

Last edited:
You're right, Wurger. I wish I had time to assemble those kits, like I did when I was a little kid. They're much more available for sale here in Brazil than diecasts in general. But, on the other hand, there are very good diecasts manufactures, like Corgi and Franklin Armour. The problem is to find those for sale here in Brazil.
By the way, I have a good friend there in Poland. He lives in Torun and used to work in the same organization I worked 'till a couple of years ago.

I see.

Toruń is a very nice place.I have been to the city a couple of times.Glad you have a friend there.

To be honest I'm not surprised the Finnish never wanted them. There logistics must have been out of this world for parts for there aircraft because they flew such a variety of aircraft. Just keeping them in the air would be a challange.

Quite right Paul. Kingdom of Yugoslavia faced similar problems at the outbreak of WW2, too many types in service but not in very great numbers - fighters: Bf 109E, Hurricane Mk I, Ik-2, IK-3, Hawker Fury and even some Avias and Dewoitines; bombers: Do-17K, SM.79, Blenheim... It was a logistical nightmare.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back