Please help to identify this MIG-3... (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Yeah, you're right. Besides, I read somewhere that the Mig-3 had a restricted armament for an aircraft of its category and showed a weak performance in low altitude. Do you guys agree with that?

MiG-3 was designed as high altitude fighter-interceptor. I believe its armament and performance were adequate for that role. Problems came when this aircraft was deployed on low altitude missions for which it was never intended. His performance at these low altitudes was unsatisfactory and production of MiG-3 was therefore discontinued.

I agree with Imalko. The MiG-1/ MiG-3 were designed as a high altitude fighter.Therefore its weak performance in low level was characteristic for the kind of fighter machines.Simply it wasn't a multipurpose plane. As the armament is concerned it was typical for Russian aircraft used in that period of time.And it was enough to shot down most of planes of that time.

Last edited:
I see. Thanks guys for these clarifying notes. Back to my diecast model, I guess I will have to do something to make it a real historical model. Painting it totally in white like those Migs used for the air defense of Moscow is an easy option. Just don't know how to get the proper decals...

Hello
Finns never repaired to flying conditions any MiG-3s that crashed here during the Continuation War, no MiGs operated here during the Winter War.

Wurger gave right info on MiG-3s. Germans offered them to Finns and, IIRC after some wrangling over price, Finns were ready to accept them but then Germans informed Finns that all the MiGs were destroyed during a bombing attack.

Juha

You are right.These pictures of Romanian and Finnish LaGGs are well known. The same would be if Finland got these MiGs from Germany. I think that these captured ones were sent to Romania as you guess.

Romania captured an mig 3, actually an hybrid betwen mig1 and mig 3 , from an defector soviet pilot.
If you are interested I can tell you the story.

Last edited:
On 18 March 1942, a MiG-3 landed at Melitopol and the Ukrainian pilot surrendered willingly. It was repainted with romanian insignia [Michael Cross] and on the tail written E.19 [squadron 19-escadrila 19 observatie] It was flown from there to I.A.R. Brasov [romanian main aircraft factory] by Constantin `BAZU` Cantacuzino [an Romanian ace] where was tested ,in the same time was being requested by the germans to which was later sent.
Pics:

Attachments

• cantacuzino.jpg
    cantacuzino.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 83
  • Rumanf2r.JPG
    Rumanf2r.JPG
    41.9 KB · Views: 113
  • mig3.jpg
    mig3.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 119
Great work. Thank you for sharing of the story and these pics. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back