polikarpov I-16 (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Neto

Banned
May 7, 2007
Lisbon
It is true that I-16 was one of the most monoeuvre fighters in ww2 ??

Hi Neto,

>It is true that I-16 was one of the most monoeuvre fighters in ww2 ??

Yes.

Generally, fighters became less manoeuvrable from 1930 to 1945. The reason is that they were designed for high speed, not for manoeuvrability.

The Polikarpov I-16 was in fact designed for high-speed in the early 1930s, when it was less manoeuvrable than the I-15 series biplanes.

Compared to a Me 109 in the early 1940s, the I-16 was much more manoeuvrable (at low speeds), but much slower.

(The 1940s I-16 variants were less manouvrable, but faster than the early 1930s I-16 variants.)

Regards,

Henning (HoHun)

Yes. but it was outdated by 1941 and agility can only go so far.

The 109 Fredrich was much faster and could outpower the rata at will. But its agility and small size must have made it a hard target.

If maneuverability were king in 1943, they still be using the Fokker DR. 1 Triplane, albeit with 20 MM cannons..

:lol:

The I-16 was certainly maneuverable, but with a 19 foot long fuselage and 20 foot wingspan, there's not a whole lot to move around. Couple that with the 1,000 HP motor on the front and it is a real unstable pony. Turn too quickly, it will spin. But from what I have heard, if you can fly an I-16, you can fly anything.

Here is one of about a half a dozen survivors when it visited our museum.

151_5147.jpg

It took a hearty Russian to fly in an open cockpit in those Russian winters! BRRR!

Soviet aircraft designer V V Nikitin produced two aircraft that looked like 'miniatures' of the I-16 and I-15. The NV-2bis had a 300hp engine that produced "near fighter like performance". Not adopted, but it was intended to be a 'military training fighter'.

Looking similar to the I-15, the UTI-6 was a "miniature aerobatic plane".

EVANGILDER, you beat me to the posting. I also have photos of two I16 and the Biplane version. I wish that I had your len. Those plans are so small that neither my 300mm or 600mm was much good. White 45 had just touched down when a cross wind hit it. I was surprised that the plane did not flip over. Your photos are much better, I had to many people around mine and then again later packed inside of a hanger.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back