Pre 1800....

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Lucky13

Forum Mascot
Aug 21, 2006
In my castle....
How about another subforum in Other Eras, I'm pretty sure that there were other major conflicts before 1800, The 30 Years War being one of them....

Jan, while not in opposition I think that events that far back in the past are fraught with problems. As events recede further into the past, the facts are distorted or augmented by entirely new details. And what are "facts". Official documents can contain errors and/or outright lies. There are intellectual historians, social historians, and gender historians, among many others. Historians studying the same topic will draw different interpretations—sometimes radically so, depending on the sources they draw from and the sources they draw from are in some cases suspect in and of themselves.
Though MUCH further back in time than your proposal take the Egyptian/Hittite battle at Kadesh. Ramesses II erected great victory pylons proclaiming his total victory at Kadesh...accepted as HISTORY for many years. Then Hittite records from Boghazkoy were discovered, telling of a very different conclusion to the great campaign, where a beaten and almost captured Ramesses was forced to depart from Kadesh in defeat and sue for peace. Modern historians split the difference and call it a draw.

Not tonight, at the moment....Rumbullion!

IMG_20160322_183728.jpg

One might humbly suggest the "Green Fairy": a tincture of Artemisia absinthium, together with green anise, sweet fennel, and other medicinal and culinary herbs as more efficacious.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back