Propeller Hub Spirals

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

fubar57

General
Nov 22, 2009
The Jungles of Canada
What is the best way to paint spirals on a propeller hub? I know you have to paint the base coat, add masking tape, then add the top coat. My problem is, I cut a length of the proper width masking tape but when I apply it to the hub, it never lays(lies?) flat even when I burnish it. Is there a specific way the tape should be cut? Any help would be great.

Many thanks,

Geo

You can try to use Clausewitz's way. He used some of Blue Tack ( a kind of plasticine for modellers) and stuck it to a primered with white spinner. Then he applied the RLM70 paint.

Here is a link to his thread ... http://www.ww2aircraft.net/forum/st...1-72-fw190-a8-heinz-b-r-k-belwagen-30767.html

And a few shots..... as shown it works very well , even for the 1/72 scale .

Fw190-16.jpg

Fw190-17.jpg

Thanks Wojtek. That sure looks a lot easier than tape, but as a wielder of the hairy stick, I'm not sure if that's for me. Might give it a go and worst comes to worst....paint remover.

Geo

I see. Also you can make it as a decal marking.

Geo, if you want to use tape, the thing is the mask needs to form a curve. I did this for my Tamiya He 219. I had spiral decals for an FW 190 and traced the curve onto paper, cut out the paper and traced the pattern onto masking tape. Because the spinners are very similar in size and shape, this worked quite well (see sequence of shots below). For different shapes of spinner, try cutting paper templates until you get something that works for you, then transfer to the masking tape.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 246
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 290
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 360
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 269
Great idea Andy, have a few German fighters down stairs somewhere and I'm pretty sure they have spirals. Next time. Trying to finish the model off and free-handed the spiral. Not the best but done. Again, thanks for the tip.

Geo

Yes, and there are also spiral decals, in various scales, colours and sizes, from at least two manufacturers. Can't remember who off hand though!

Yeah get the premade spiral decal sets. So much easier. From what I remember you can purchase packs of them. I really like the sticky tack idea, looks good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back