Provide a Caption for This Picture (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

What always made me laugh about West Virginia, the whole reason it even exists is that it was created when that portion of Virginia decided NOT to side with the confederacy. But if you drive through it today, which I have done many times, there are more confederate flags flying in West Virginia than Virginia.

When I worked for Glaxo years back, they, and many other pharmaceutical companies maintained research clinics in rural areas of West Virginia due to the low level of genetic diversity. (A polite way of saying inbreeding). Glaxo was running over a dozen research programs on genetic diseases and their responses to various medicines and treatment regimes.

My role was collecting patient data and then anonymizing it before its use by various research programs at dozens of universities. Because of the sensitive nature of that data the servers were not connected to the internet and we had to drive to each site to collect the data physically. While we did remove identifying information we maintained familial relationships via codes. In one particular town of note, there were exactly 14 families represented in a population of close to 11,000 people in the county and town.

Literally everyone in that area was related to everyone else. It was one of the more interesting studies I participated in to say the least.

I live in the deep south, I never hear banjos.

Virginia is not the deep south. Come down here to Louisiana. Some of the things I have seen here since moving here straight up scare me. You don't have to have money to not be trash...

I'll leave it at that. :lol:

Needless to say, if it was not for the company I work for I would not be living here.

I have to admit I too have run into, ah how shall I say this, peculiar attitudes and practices since I moved here. I have been here over 20 years but there is no doubt I am still very much an outsider. I was told the difference between a damn yankee and a yankee about 5000 times in those 20 years. A yankee is someone from "up north" that is visiting or passing through. A damn yankee is a yankee that stays.

When I applied for my concealed carry permit a few years back the Sherrifs Deputy that interviewed me very sincerely asked me if a Yankee even knew which end of a gun the bullet comes out of. I explained that yes indeed we did, my ancestors perfected their knowledge on a trip through Georgia awhile back. He failed to appreciate my sense of humor.

I have to admit I too have run into, ah how shall I say this, peculiar attitudes and practices since I moved here. I have been here over 20 years but there is no doubt I am still very much an outsider. I was told the difference between a damn yankee and a yankee about 5000 times in those 20 years. A yankee is someone from "up north" that is visiting or passing through. A damn yankee is a yankee that stays.

Same here. I have lived all over the south. Louisiana, Texas, Alabama, Georgia, South Carolina and North Carolina. Hell I have family in the mountains of North Carolina (some of the most beautiful country I have every seen), but this current time living down here (Louisiana) has made me realize that I am not southern. And I am perfectly fine with that...

Nothing against the people down here. I love the food, and there are so many great things to experience, it is just not my way of life. I guess I am just too northern or lived in Germany for far too long.

Imagine what kind of culture shock the south has been for my German wife...:lol:

who needs home delivery when you have drive through?

1360028611.jpg

They even load the trunk/truck bed if ti won't fit in with the passengers :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back