PZL P.11 flown by Eugeniusz Szaposznikow

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

hamishunger

Airman
Oct 2, 2022
Hi guys,

Once again I am not sure what forum to post this in. If you think this needs to be in a different forum, please let me know.

Here goes ... I am making a tribute board to a Polish pilot that fought so incredibly well with RAF Fighter Command during the B.o.B. Presently I am finding out about the pilots of 303 Polish squadron, which was formed from pilots who had fought in the Polish campaign with their own air force, the Battle of France with L'armee de L'air and finally the RAF in the Battle of Britain and right up to the end of the war. One such pilot was Eugeniusz Szaposznikow, I have a rather tatty RAF combat report of his which I want to frame with other pictures and artifacts. I have artwork of a Bloch MB 152 that he flew in France with GC ll/6 and of the Hurricane he flew with 303 Polish squadron. What I don't have is any pictures of his PZL P.11 that he flew with the 111th Escadrille in Poland. I have plenty of pics/profiles of 111th Escadrilles PZL p.11 aircraft, but nothing that I can knowingly attribute to Szaposznikow. So, to get to the point, can anybody help me to shed light on this matter? Perhaps a book of a/c profiles or a link to another website? Any help with this and/or facts about the Polish fighter pilots of WW2 would be much appreciated.

The first two pictures are of the aircraft that I know he flew, the third is of 303 pilots with Szaposznikow far right, the fourth shows three sections of 303's hurricanes including Eugeniusz's a/c and the final picture shows a 111th Escadrille's a/c, but whose plane I don't know.

Attachments

• Capture 8.PNG
    Capture 8.PNG
    24.7 KB · Views: 20
  • rf c hurricane.PNG
    rf c hurricane.PNG
    28.7 KB · Views: 20
  • 303 pilots.PNG
    303 pilots.PNG
    162.5 KB · Views: 18
  • 52513263898_6594b8432c_b.jpg
    52513263898_6594b8432c_b.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 27
  • 12.PNG
    12.PNG
    46.7 KB · Views: 22
I'm afraid the find may be unpossible. I can't remind myself a such image. As memo serves Eugeniusz Szaposznikow was of Corporal rank while servicing in the 111th FS in 1939. According to a list, on the 1st September 1939, the squadron was equipped with 10 PZL P-11a and P-11c fighter planes. IMHO he could fly more a PZL P-11a than the P-11c. But it's just my opinion. I'll try to dig a little bit deeper.

I'm afraid the find may be unpossible. I can't remind myself a such image. As memo serves Eugeniusz Szaposznikow was of Corporal rank while servicing in the 111th FS in 1939. According to a list, on the 1st September 1939, the squadron was equipped with 10 PZL P-11a and P-11c fighter planes. IMHO he could fly more a PZL P-11a than the P-11c. But it's just my opinion. I'll try to dig a little bit deeper.
Hi, any idea where I might find such a list?
Thanks

If you mean the list with the planes and their pilots there is no a such one. Actaully one aircraft could be flown by different pilots. Especially in the September 1939 when losses of squadrons were numerous both because of being shot down or damaged or crashed. It is said the 111th FS lost 9 of its 12 planes during the campaigne. Certainly you may ask the Polish Intitute and the Sikorski Museum in London. There may be the required records.

Also the book may provide more details. Unfortunately I don't have the book on my shelf.

T251221.jpg

and here all P-11s of the 111EM. But not all of them have been identified fully so far.
111EM 1939.jpg

the source: Modelarstwo z pasją • Zobacz wątek - P.11c st. szer. pil. Zdzisława Horna?

Thanks for the info, what you said about the 111th's pilots flying different machines when the fighting in Poland started, makes perfect sense and I had considered that myself. What is amazing is that they didn't lose more aircraft and even managed to shoot down 8 Luftwaffe planes including a number of fighters, considering how out-classed their PZL fighters were, against their more modern German counterparts. Those Polish pilots were in a class of their own for bravery and skill...
Anway I'll see if I can get an English version of the book you have pictured and find out some more.

Google "google lens" is very simpel but powerfull tool on your mobile. Its free.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back