Q on JV 44's Fw 190D-11

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Ruud

Airman 1st Class
Apr 1, 2010
Not being fully pleased with how my D-11 conversion of the Tamiya D-9 has gone. So i figured i would use the JV 44 decals that came with the Kagero Monograph book to build my D-11 as "red 4."

Now most builds/profiles show "red 4" with two white stripes going all the way down the center of the bottom of the fuselage clear to the tail wheel well. The Eduard 1/48 D-11 instructions have the two central white stripes stop at the mlg bays and leave the whole back part of the lower fuselage without any white stripes. The AZ 1/72 D-11 also shows it without the stripes. Any consensus as to what it should be?

My Japo book has a few pictures of the plane, but nothing shows the bottom of the rear fuselage. Their profile has stripes going clear to the tail.

I consulted my Dora Volume 2 book by Crandall. He admits that there are no known photos to confirm what's going on with the stripes under the fuselage. He does say though that the underwing ones are unevenly spaced and vary in thickness but I see no pics in his book that support this, except perhaps a colour one showing Red 4 piled up with other wrecks with the partial undersides visible. It's possible that a higher resolution version of this picture would support that conclusion but the one in the book certainly doesn't.

He also can't verify the WNr other than to say it's from the 220xxx block. Unfortunately you seem to have picked the least well documented scheme of all the possibilities.

well, i guess that i can not go wrong either way. Either way the red will distract the eyes from an so-so finish on the bottom.

I'll post my current in progress picture on the FB page.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back