Question For Diorama

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Hello everyone!

I'd like to do a diorama in the near future using my Panther tank that I just built. I'd have it as part of the Panzerlehrdivision, attacking the American bridgehead in Remagen. I can't find a whole lot of info besides basic stuff one this battle, would anyone be able to assist?

Thanks!

I think I might have a bit of info regarding the battle at Remagen Cory, not sure how detailed though. Are you sure 'Lehr' were there? I thought they got decimated in the Falaise pocket, but again, I'd need to double check. Anyway, leave it with me and I'll see what I can dig up.

Thanks Terry and VB, I'll take a look at that!

I know Wikipedia isn't really always the best, but it says the same thing as I've found everywhere else:

"When the U.S. 9th Armored Division captured the Ludendorff Bridge at Remagen, Panzer Lehr was sent to crush the bridgehead. The attack was unsuccessful, though the division fought well and inflicted many casualties.[citation needed] The Allies' overwhelming numbers and constant air cover had reduced Panzer Lehr to a weak shadow of a division. Engaged in a fighting retreat across northwestern Germany, the division was trapped in the Ruhr Pocket and the remnants of the once powerful division were taken prisoner by the Americans when the pocket surrendered in April."

You have to download it first. When you do the logo thingy goes away. Why they do that, I have no idea.

If it's a quirk and it still will not work, message your e-mail addy and I'll try to compress it and send it to you.

Thanks for the info there Cory. I think I was getting mixed up with what was left of Lehr, as it seems they obviously were at Remagen (or what was left of the Divn.) I'm guessing the stuff you've downloaded will be much more use than anything I have, but if I find anything of interest, I'll post it.

Wow VB, that book is fantastic! I've only just started looking at it, and it has the full German order of battle in it (haven't read the US part yet), which included the 11th Panzer Division, the Panzerlehrdivision and the 106th Panzer Battalion, probably better known as 106. Panzer-Brigade Feldherrnhalle made up of SA men and very well equipped with Panther Ausf. Gs and Jagdpanzer IVs.

Sorry for the triple post here guys, but in this one I'm just going to post pictures of the bridge and surrounding area I've found.

remagen.jpg

remagen2.jpg

remagen-bridge.jpg

remagen_bridge.jpg

RemagenBridge.jpg

11Bridge_at_Remagen1.jpg

Caption%209th%20Div.%20(1st%20Army)%20troops%20enter%20Remagen%20aboard%20%27DUKW%27.jpg

Wright_Remagen.jpg

I just realized that I can't actually do the bridge if I want to have any Panzer elements as they didn't arrive until the 9th of March, by which point the Americans had pushed further East.

You'd need a lot of room to do even the towers for the bridge in 1/35th scale Cory! I reckon somewhere in the region of two feet across, tower to tower! BTW, is your Panther painted as a 'Lehr' tank - I can't remember the details you gave when first posted? I know that, when they left France/Holland, they were still in the dark yellow, with minimal 'striping', but I don't have any details of any newer equipment, where the factory grey was often just oversprayed with Weinrot or similar.

Well, now that I know that there were other Panzer elements in the area, it doesn't have to be a Lehr tank. It's painted like this, so not as you dexcribed:

DSCN1226.jpg

Do you have any additional info on the 106th Panzer Battalion or the 11th Panzer Division?

I'll see what I can find on them mate. I thought your Panther was in the late war 'factory' finish, that's why I asked, as the only onfo (so far) I have on 'Lehr' is up to about September '44, when they'd lost all their Porsche King Tigers, and the few Panthers remaining were still in the yellow and stripes scheme.
I had a book with some excellent colour profiles of later war German armour, if I can remember who I loaned it to! I hate that, when people don't bring back a good book! If I can re-claim it, I think there might be some relevant stuff in there somewhere.

Looking forward to this one Cory! Have a Panzer dio in my mind as well, 5th SS Wiking, with the Kovel encirclement, where Nicolussi-Leck proceeded to fight his way though the Red Army encirclement, destroying several tanks in the process. His Panther tank was the first vehicle to break the encirclement, for his actions he was awarded the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross and 11th SS Nordland, Courland Pocket....

Have a few ideas for my M-10 and M-36 as well...8)

Oh oh, here we go again, more bl**dy group builds ! Where you going to put all these old boy??!! You do relise that, because of you, I've had to knock through into next door's attic, just to store the extra models I've built since joining the forum? And let me tell you, that is no mean achievement, as there isn't a 'next door'.......er...oh dear!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back