Question on Decals and Panel Lines (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Mr. Ed

Airman 1st Class
Oct 27, 2009
How do you handle the panel lines when they're covered over by decals?

Do you cut them along the panel lines and apply micro sol or some other decal softener? Do you simply leave them alone and think that cutting them could do more damage than good?

Here are a few more questions I have about decals: What do you do when the color is weak or translucent? Do you try to mask and paint over them or remove them and use another decal? Do you have any opinions about the best (or strongest) decal solvent? Do you use the solvent all the time to try to disolve the carrier film or only on problem areas?

I'm on the verge of completing 4 kits, so I've just applied about an acres worth of decals. These are first aircraft kits I've completed since high school, and the experience left me filled with questions. I appreciate all the guidance you can give me.

If you use Micro Sol and Set liquids decals usually go into the engraved panel lines themself.There is no need to cut them. You should know that these panel lines are "underlined" when the clear dope is applied and declas are covered by it as well.So you can use the weathering without problems on them.

Concerning the week and translucent colours. You never know if these are like that until you applied them on a model.There are two solution only.Either you add the same decal markings ( it makes the markings thicker as well ) or you will use decals of another manufacturer.Because decal markings should be applied on a model covered with a gloss dope in order to avoid silvering effect the warm water is enoygh solvant for removing them. If you want to reduce the clear film areas around markings , simply you have to cut these areas off going as close as possible to a marking.

Last edited:
I agree with everthing Wojtek said. In addition, where you get 'show through' of the base colour in a decal area, it is sometimes possible to overpaint the affected area, depending on shape, colour and complexity. On the Mustang I'm building in the Group Build, the black 'Inasion' stripe was showing through half of the Dull Red centre circle of the fuselage roundels. So, once the decal had set, it was clear coated in gloss, as were all decals, in order to blend it into the background and make an even surface and, when this was totally dry, the red area was retouched overall, using slightly thinned, 'home mixed' enamel paints in this instance. I'm happy to say it did the trick!

If you use Micro Sol and Set liquids decals usually go into the engraved panel lines themself.There is no need to cut them. You should know that these panel lines are "underlined" when the clear dope is applied and declas are covered by it as well.So you can use the weathering without problems on them.

Concerning the week and translucent colours. You never know if these are like that until you applied them on a model.There are two solution only.Either you add the same decal markings ( it makes the markings thicker as well ) or you will use decals of another manufacturer.Because decal markings should be applied on a model covered with a gloss dope in order to avoid silvering effect the warm water is enoygh solvant for removing them. If you want to reduce the clear film areas around markings , simply you have to cut these areas off going as close as possible to a marking.

I agree :)

I usually carefully press the decals into the panel lines and attempt to stretch them into the recesses with the decal softener, but you must be very careful during this process....it also depends on the decals you are using some simply are not workable and you will only damage them trying to get them down...I do on occasion cut them along the panel lines.

I've used decal softener to get the decals to settle in the recessed panel lines as well as to get them to conform to irregular surfaces (like the shark mouth on my P-400). I sometimes have luck using a paper towel to push them tightly onto detailed areas. Don't to that after using a softener, though, it makes for a paper towel with decal decorations.

tom

Users who are viewing this thread

Back