Question on the Elefant tank (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Vassili Zaitzev

Master Sergeant
Nov 25, 2005
Connecticut, United States
I have read that the Elefant tank did not a defensive machine gun during the battle of Kursk and only armed with a 88 MM cannon. one of the german generals quoted they had to " go quail hunting with cannon" heres my question, what kind of idiot would design a heavy, slow moving tank with no MG.

I think the Elefant was designed by Ferdinand Porsche, who was definitely not an idiot by any standard.

I think the question is: what kind of vehicle did the germans have in mind, when they commissioned it to Porsche?

Apart from that, I don't know how experienced Porsche was in designing heavy military vehicles.

Best regards

Ys, true. I read in a battle report of Kursk that the crew of a Elefant shot trough the hole in the escape hatch at the back of the Elefant to kill infantry.

Henk

Vassili Zaitzev:

I have read that the Elefant tank did not a defensive machine gun during the battle of Kursk

The Elefant did, the Ferdinand did not.

only armed with a 88 MM cannon.

"only"?? - I'd be happy enough with that! 8)

"quail hunting with cannon"

They actually opened the breech, stuffed their MG down the 88mm barrel and aimed the main armament at the infantry!

what kind of idiot would design a heavy, slow moving tank with no MG.

It was an SPG. It was an idiotic idea to use them as close range weapons (which is what happened).

gaussianum:

I think the Elefant was designed by Ferdinand Porsche, who was definitely not an idiot by any standard.

It was a re-engineered rejected Porche prototype. The engine, transmission and suspension were pathetic, even by German standards. The 188 ton Maus was even far superior.

Only the drivetrain was replaced, the crappy suspension unfortunately had to stay.

I think the question is: what kind of vehicle did the germans have in mind, when they commissioned it to Porsche?

Well, it was originally meant to be the famous Tiger, but was rejected as it was inferior to the Henchel design.

Apart from that, I don't know how experienced Porsche was in designing heavy military vehicles.

He had a little experience with DW (Breakthrough) designs, tank transporters etc. IMHO he was a good heavy tank designer, but a bit too 'German'.

Henk:

I read in a battle report of Kursk that the crew of a Elefant shot trough the hole in the escape hatch at the back of the Elefant to kill infantry.

Most tanks had and used these 'pistol ports'. They were usually just used for lobbing out old shells though.

BTW: The KV IS tanks had a ball-mounted DP MG in the back of the turret, but not in the hull.

Yes, it were the Ferdinand and not the Elefant, you are right I did not even see it or think about it.

You are also right about the fact that they aimed the main gun non the infantry and then shot their hand held guns through the barrel of the main gun.

Henk

That was a problem with the German '88's - the semi-auto breach snapped shut/open - I wouldn't want to have my hand in there if the mechanism tripped - Ouch! :shock:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back