R-2800 cylinder barrel cooling fins

Trilisser

Airman 1st Class
262
24
Joined
May 22, 2011
The R-1830 featured integral cooling fins on its cylinder barrels. The R-2000 had (as per 1953 JAWA) a design in which an aluminium muff with machined fins was shrunk on the barrel middle section. The same Jane's states the civilian CA/CB-series R-2800 had similar construction. But did the earlier A, B and C -series have the same "muffled" construction? The 1946 Jane's has no details on this.
 
All R-2800 and R-4360 had forged aluminum cooling muffs. Some later R-1830 (the C9s I think) did as well.
 
All R-2800 and R-4360 had forged aluminum cooling muffs. Some later R-1830 (the C9s I think) did as well.
Are you absolutely certain about the later 1830s? I checked the Jane's 1952-53 volume and it makes no mention of such.
 
Yes, the C9 and C10 had cooling muffs. They weren't particular common though.
R-1830 index
 
Thanks! Seems that one way to recognize a "muffed" variant is the 1350 hp TO rating.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back