RAAF P-40N decals

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Warhoover

Recruit
Aug 17, 2008
Gainesville, Florida
Hi all, new to the forum. I am getting back into modeling after a long hyatus, I have become interested lately in modeling RAAF P-40s, especially the N model. I have stashed away a couple of the Academy "N" kits in 1/72 and a Eduard Profipak in 1/48. I have been doing some research in the formum looking for sources for decals. Most of the sources I have seen listed in older posts are now not available. I know I can piece roundels and codes from generic sets, finding nose art would be the big problem. I was wondering if someone knew of any up to date sources for RAAF P-40 decals.

Thanks in advance!

Brad

G'day Brad, I found some from Aeromaster on this site AviationMegastore.com
Also if your in the market for another kit, I recommed the Italeri 1:48 P-40M/N kit. I recently finished it and it comes with decals for Geoff Athertons 80sqn P-40N. This is how mine turned out.

Attachments

• IMG_2095.JPG
    IMG_2095.JPG
    68.2 KB · Views: 143
  • IMG_2098.JPG
    IMG_2098.JPG
    40 KB · Views: 108
G'day Wildcat and Heinz. Thanks for the replies!

Wildcat, your bird looks really good! I just might pick up the Italeri kit, I think a monster is rearing its head here. :rolleyes:

One reason I became intrigued with doing a couple of RAAF P-40's not only do I like the P-40, but the use of the white recognition markings.

My family and I recently returned from a 3 week vacation "down under". We visited friends in Brizzie for a few days along the way. My friend took me to the Army Aviation Museum at Oakey. First time I got to see a Boomerang in person, my friend explained to me why they used the white and the wheels started turning in my mind, when that happens my wife just rolls her eyes.

I had noticed a Boomerang on his work bench when we arrived a couple days earlier, so needless to say I poured over his reference library while he did some painting on his project later that night. So, the bug bit me. We checked some hobby shops in Brisbane and also in Sydney when we went down there but struck out looking for decals.

Heinz, I ran across sources you mentioned earlier while doing a web search a couple days ago and all the sets were our of stock. I contacted Red Roo and he told me that the sets he produced were going on 12 years old and from the impression I got it may be a while before he runs them again or he just may not. I hope I am wrong. I will keep googling, browsing and checking ebay.

Thanks for the help. If you see anything come up keep me in mind.

Cheers,
Brad

Hi there WildCat

Nice model what paints did you use? So many olive greens around!!!

I am just about to start the Italeri P-40M/N and was going to do the same "Cleopatra".

I notice that you did not depict the light green circle that are on both sides of the fuselage. I have been puzzling over them as they are shown on the kit box picture.

I have just managed to find this picture

Cleopatra.jpg

Good to have your thoughts

Backtothewind

Hi Roger. I just posted in your other thread that I had made this kit :lol: Late war RAAF P-40's were recieved in US Olive drab over neutral grey. I painted mine with Humbrol OD and I think Light a/c grey (166). As I said in the other thread, I'm pretty certain the overpainted roundel was in RAAF Foliage green, which was a paint in wide spread use by the RAAF in the Pacific.
Good luck with it and I look forward to seeing the finished product!
Some more pics for you.

Attachments

• 80sqnRAAF10.jpg
    80sqnRAAF10.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 103
  • 80sqnRAAF11.jpg
    80sqnRAAF11.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 79
  • 80sqnRAAF12.jpg
    80sqnRAAF12.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 381
I am working on a kit by Hasagawa of the P 40n. I was wondering if I could use olive green instead of OD green.

I was going to build a P 40N that was in service in India/China. Maybe of the 51st F.G.

p40n-25fs.jpg

This seems like a likely candidate. I wonder if I could take the liberty of adding brown camo patterns.

Amsel,

Of what tonality the OD has to be like, you have to know the period of time the P-40N was used.

Until 1943 topsides of the USAAF a/c were painted with 41 Olive Drab - FS23070.Then after 1943 with ANA613 - FS34084.

For the FS23070 you can use (by IPMS Stockholm site Urban's reference chart) Humbrol 66 or 155 ( patterns below)
For the FS34084 the site suggests mixing Humbrol163 + Humbrol108 + Humbrol33 in proportion 4/4/3.

As you can see the Humbrol 66 and 155 colours are of a bit different tonalities.I have even found two ones for Humbrol66.To be honest all these colours look also different in reality and it depends on a background they are applied on.

For the mixture for FS34084 it is very difficult to say what the final effect will be achieved.

well..to sum up, taking into consideration that the weather conditions at that area where these planes were used, influenced the paint tonality the most , it can be said that all tonalitis that are close to the main colour are possible.And it depends on you only what you will choose.What is more both FS colours are very similar to Olive Green colour.

Attachments

• Humbrol155.jpg
    Humbrol155.jpg
    12.1 KB · Views: 86
  • Humbrol66a.jpg
    Humbrol66a.jpg
    12.7 KB · Views: 77
  • Humbrol66.jpg
    Humbrol66.jpg
    12.1 KB · Views: 79
  • Fs23070.jpg
    Fs23070.jpg
    11.7 KB · Views: 62
  • FS34084.jpg
    FS34084.jpg
    11.8 KB · Views: 62
Thank you Wurger! That is some very helpful information there. It does make alot of sense concerning locality and time frame. Thanks again.

...was my uncle's last P40.

He flew that one home from Moratai Island to a wrecking yard in Queensland apparently.

There have been a couple of kits of BU-B....Mauve, Hasegawa in 1:48 and at least one in 1:72 which
is
in the stash somewhere. Red Roo did a decal set for Cleopatra 3 and the earlier one's from the Horne Island / Milne Bay time.

He also flew one of the three photo Lightenings that the RAAF had at that time.

DFC and Bar......joined the RAF postwar and flew on into the jet era. Wing Commander.....and a great
bloke. Reading his log books was incredible. Westland Wapati to Hawker Hunter.

We used to make airfix kits when I was a kid....he was my 'technical advisor'.

IA

Great info on this plane Subby.
Just something to take note of tho, something we've all done when we first join up here.

In the blue bar it will give you the post date for the above post in the thread.
Then below the name it will show you the number of posts the member has made.
From this you can get an idea of the age of the post, and the likelyhood it will be seen.

Having said that, Wurger is a pretty regular contributor.
Just a heads up mate.

Bill

Users who are viewing this thread

Back