RAAF Vultee Vengeance Camo Question

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Capt. Vick

Staff
Mod
Jul 23, 2008
Long Island, New York
Guys,

Does anyone know what camo colors were used on the Northrop built Vultee Vengeances for the RAAF? Were they specfic colors for the RAAF, or were they USAAC/F colors?

G'day Vick, colours should be Foliage green/dark earth over sky blue. Code letters were either medium sea grey or white, some late war machines were simply foliage green over sky blue. Vengeances deployed to New Guinea would also have a white tail and wing leading edges as per my sig.
Note the period pic below shows the Vengeance's delivered with the early war RAAF roundel of red/white/blue. Once in service the red was over painted with white.
HTH

Attachments

• raaf.jpg
    raaf.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 803
  • A27-99.jpg
    A27-99.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 694
  • A27-99(4).jpg
    A27-99(4).jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 583
...what color do you think the XP-56 is in this photo taken from Gerald Baltzer's awesome (in my opinion) book? I was thinking that they used the paint they had around at the Northrop factory and used the stocks that they had for use on the Vengeance order. Sound logical? But was the US ones painted the same as the RAF (RAAF) ones? Any thoughts? Also, do you agree that the "Black Bullet" is in fact painted with 3 colors? 2 on top and one below?

XP-56 wVengeance 1a.jpg

G'day Jim. AFAIK Vengeance's built for the RAF and USAAF at the Northrop factory came out in dark Earth (DuPont71-009),dark green (71-013) over light grey (71-021). I've seen a referance that examples built for the RAAF were painted in a close match to the Australian specified colours I mentioned in the post above. I have my doubts with this though as a number of aircraft were diverted from RAF stocks which would see them painted in the DuPont colours I've quoted here.
With the pic you posted, my money would be one these DuPont colours.

Attachments

• 95.jpg
    95.jpg
    14.9 KB · Views: 524
  • Ga31-2.jpg
    Ga31-2.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 540

Users who are viewing this thread

Back