Radio.... (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Lucky13

Forum Mascot
Aug 21, 2006
In my castle....
One show that I always liked in Sweden, was called Smoke Rings, which played jazz from the 20's up to the 40's....
Unfortunately, it was cancelled after the presenter died in '99. It's the longest running show in Sweden, 1.786 shows, from the start 12 september 1960 to the end 14 november 1999...it was replaced by something called Stardust...

Oh, before Smoke Rings, the longest running show was Barnens Brevlåda or The Childrens Mailbox, which ran from '25 to '72, 1.785 shows....

The presenter of Smoke Rings, Leif Anderson always opened the show with 'Hello there, music lovers' and finished off with 'Thank you and good night. We'll be back with some more sweet and swinging music, we hope... And this will have to do until the real thing comes along'.....and he had the perfect voice for this, a deep, rough, whatyacallit voice....

There is a radio program here called "The Big Show" on WNYC that plays, I'm not sure what you would call it, '20's and '30's "silly" jazz(?). Songs like the original "I'm just a gigolo" or ones with lyrics like:

You should hear the cat bow wow.
You should hear the dog meow.
All the pets are all upset.
Honey just like me!

Love to listen to it when I'm working nights and can catch it. Makes me think I could have been a song writer! lol

EDIT: Just looked it up and I had the station and the name wrong!

http://www.wfuv.org/programs/bigbroadcast

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back