RAF 603 SQN Ops record-August/September 1940

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Alte Hase

Airman 1st Class
Sep 25, 2011
Hi guys. Does anybody have a record of 603 Squadron's ops during late August/early September 1940? In particular, does anyone know which Luftwaffe BF109 squadrons they came up against during these clashes? Thanks a million in advance!

Hello AH
I have copies of its ORB on that period, also its excellent unit history and Wood's excellent article on 603 during the BoB in RAF Yearbook 1975, so I can fairly easily to dig out its ops and losses. It demands more work to check out opponents. Easiest way to do that is to use Wood's article (You get ops and claims and exact loss info from it) and cross check that with The BoB Then and Now Mk V (You get Cornwell's 1989 oppinion on the real losses inflicted by pilots of 603 and the LW pilots who he thought then as the victors over 603 Spits from it). Also the unit historian David Ross identify at least some of the 603's victims and victors over 603's Spits.

Juha

Your best bet is probably Volume 1 of "The Greatest Squadron Of Them All," by David Ross, Bruce Blanche William Simpson, which records each day's events at that time. There are two volumes, "Formation to the end of 1940" is volume 1, with "1941 to date" as volume 2. ISBNs are 1-90410-49-0 1-90410-51-2; they have been available at discount prices (originally each was £30.)
The ORB is another option, but that probably needs a trip to the National Archives in Kew; don't think it's available online, but you can always try.

Thank you so much for the info! I shall pursue these leads ASAP! Much appreciated!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back