RAF project numbers?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

A.G. Williams

Airman 1st Class
Oct 10, 2020
During the 1930s and 1940s new aircraft projects for the RAF were identified by code letters and numbers: e.g. the Westland Whirlwind was designed in response to project specification F37/35 which (as I understand it) was the 37th fighter project of 1935.

Can anyone point me towards a complete list of these project codes for combat aircraft, and which aircraft were designed to comply with them?

During the 1930s and 1940s new aircraft projects for the RAF were identified by code letters and numbers: e.g. the Westland Whirlwind was designed in response to project specification F37/35 which (as I understand it) was the 37th fighter project of 1935.

Can anyone point me towards a complete list of these project codes for combat aircraft, and which aircraft were designed to comply with them?

Hi

The most detailed work available is 'The British Aircraft Specifications File' by Meekcoms and Morgan, published by Air-Britain in 1994.
I hope that is of use.

Mike

Hi

The most detailed work available is 'The British Aircraft Specifications File' by Meekcoms and Morgan, published by Air-Britain in 1994.
I hope that is of use.

Mike
Thanks for that. Is there a simpler version available on-line?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back