RAF vs. LW in 1941-42, ETO: what were the confirmed losses? (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

tomo pauk

Creator of Interesting Threads
Apr 3, 2008
A spin off from the Bomber offensive:
The RAF was conducting offensive fighter sweeps, many times with small bomber units acting as a bait, vs. LW units in NE Euroope. Operations named Rhubarbs, Circus etc. LW was extracting a heavy toll on the RAF planes, both by fighters and Flak. RAF was able to gain superiority over La Manche, and at least parity over coast. What were the losses for RAF and LW in the ETO, during 1941-42 (for all combat types)? Appreciate any good (confirmed) data you may have, I'm interested in losses both by confronting fighters, bomber defensive fire and the AAA.
In the mean time, I'll dwell into parsifal's posts at the 'Three fighters' thread, Polls sub forum :)

If you haven't seen THIS before...dig in.

This is only Spitfires.

I've linked you to the first (of many pages) detailling Mk V machines as this is the type most pertinent to the inquiry you've posted. (NB: most of the Mk V production starts a few pages further on, after you pass through all of the MkII's, as the list is sorted by serial numbers, not production dates). Also note the fate of the MkII's as well; many of them were also involved (and lost) in the period you're asking about

You might note that there are not a lot of "happy endings" to be found, as you scroll through the many, many pages of serial numbers.

Navigate forward and backward from the main menu.

Take a peek at the "Dunkerque" period while you're there...

Ouch.

Provides a little perspective, IMO.

Sources are listed in the appropriate tab on the main page.

It's not the "whole answer"...but it covers a big chunk of it for the RAF end of things.

Last edited:
some days ago were posted data for 41 and 42
i just remember around 150 losses for LW in '41 and around 250 in '42
i hope some remember where is that topic

Users who are viewing this thread

Back