RAH-66 Comanche

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Chief

Senior Airman
Jul 12, 2006
Here's the question, would it have been successful if it wasn't cancelled?

A Stealth helicopter would come in handy, but would it be necessary?

Well it certainly would have been successful but it was not economically worth it. The Apache Longbow can do anything the Commanche can do and for a cheaper price tag.

Also you have to look at Stealth on a helicopter. It will not work very well. You know why? The big blades that are turning up on top. The aircraft would have a smaller signature but not small eneogh to not know that it is not an aircraft.

At the same time though, all military helicopters operate below the radar in combat, so stealth is errelivent.

I worked for Sikorsky briefly in the early 1990s - I got to see the first one when it was at final assembly - pretty interesting ship but even then Sikorsky folks didn't think it would make it into full production.

Yeah she was an interesting helo, would of been interesting to see how she compared to the Ka-50. I suspect she would of been a lot better as the Ka-50 is probably around the level of the current attack helo's of the US.
I worked for Sikorsky briefly in the early 1990s - I got to see the first one when it was at final assembly - pretty interesting ship but even then Sikorsky folks didn't think it would make it into full production.
Why did they not think it would make full production Joe? Was it a case of too expensive or were there other reasons - like it not really being required?

Yeah she was an interesting helo, would of been interesting to see how she compared to the Ka-50. I suspect she would of been a lot better as the Ka-50 is probably around the level of the current attack helo's of the US.

Why did they not think it would make full production Joe? Was it a case of too expensive or were there other reasons - like it not really being required?

It's the armament that truly makes the attack helo a devastating weapon. Longbows and Cobras (well with the Z model) can launch anything that the commanche could have. Avionics can always be updated, and it was decided that it was not needed. The commanche's performance may have been sexier, but that's not really the role of the attack helo.

Exactly. In Combat attack aircraft are rather slow, picking out targets and attacking. The Longbow can do just what the Commanche could and cheaper. As I said abover a helo does not need to be stealth anyhow, because she flies low to the ground and hiding behing trees and hills.

The Commanche was too expensive and not worth it.

Also to be in stealth mod would reduce available weapons load because I think the AH-64D, the OH-6 Little Bird and other attack helicopters all carry the lions share of their attack ordinance on pylons. Whereas to get the benefit of stealth the RAH-66 Comanche would be relying on internal weapons load...

Also to be in stealth mod would reduce available weapons load because I think the AH-64D, the OH-6 Little Bird and other attack helicopters all carry the lions share of their attack ordinance on pylons. Whereas to get the benefit of stealth the RAH-66 Comanche would be relying on internal weapons load...

All of the ordinance on a AH-64D is carried on the pylons. The OH-6 does not really have pylons. It does not carry heavy armament anyhow. At most it carries a 50 Cal or mini gun and at most a small rocket pod.

The Commanche could carry the same amount of ordinance the AH-64 could on pylons that folded out when the aircraft was going to attack something.

Is this also factoring in the cannon rounds the AH-64D has in its belly? I just had questions about capacity to carry ordinance internally without making a bigger and more inviting target for enemy fire...

What was reason behind the cancellation of this machine ?
I remember seen some Discovery Channel documentry years ago and the bird looked very promising, at list at that time.

In the end it came down to:

bill.jpg

The Commanche was steeped in requirements for a cold war scenario. It was the right machine for a different time. And the $Billions that it cost have been freed up to pay for much more relavant equipment like the Lakota which frees up the Black Hawk for more missions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back