random questions

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I'm certainly not going to disagree with Dimlee on this, but didn't the bolsheviks rename the large extent of territory ruled by them the USSR?

Dimlee, as a question that is certainly not meant to be confrontational, but wasn't the territory and peoples ruled by the USSR largely coincident with that of the Russian Empire (I'm not including the Warsaw pact countries; they did retain the same sort of sovereignty as, say, El Salvador)

Last edited:
No thanks. :) I've searched the internet trying to find out and still haven't. If you run across it let me know.

Just guessing, a day (maybe two) from Buffalo to Great falls, then two days up to Alaska.
The book mentioned by fubar is on-line.

There was lots of problems especially with the V12 engines in the winter.

I'm certainly not going to disagree with Dimlee on this, but didn't the bolsheviks rename the large extent of territory ruled by them the USSR?

Dimlee, as a question that is certainly not meant to be confrontational, but wasn't the territory and peoples ruled by the USSR largely coincident with that of the Russian Empire (I'm not including the Warsaw pact countries; they did retain the same sort of sovereignty as, say, El Salvador)

I agree on both points. They have renamed the territory and the territory was coincident with that of the former Empire, with exception of Poland, Finland, Baltics, part of Bessarabia, and some minor territories elsewhere. (Exception of the Baltics and Bessarabia until 1940).

New question, on the Catalinas with the beaching gear, how were they attached? I saw a diagram showing that it was bolted on but wondering was there only one attachment point? And it must have been quite a chore to put on the gear while the plane was till in the water

New question, on the Catalinas with the beaching gear, how were they attached? I saw a diagram showing that it was bolted on but wondering was there only one attachment point? And it must have been quite a chore to put on the gear while the plane was till in the water

Early PBY's had removable beaching gear. Which needed removal and attachment while the plane floated in the water. Later PBY-5 had onboard, built-in landing gear and became the first truly amphibious airplane. As it took this gear wherever it went.

Cat Tales.

Depends on exactly what you're referring to. Somewhat like England and the United Kingdom. Soviet is the better 'catch-all' just in case you're referring to something that happens to be Belarusian, Ukrainian, etc. and not Russian.

A lot of the people that Stalin and Lenin insisted be Soviet didn't want to be Soviet, especially after a holodomar (corrected), and were fighting against them and with the Germans. A big story that often isn't told. Basically the Germans threw out the supposed race relations book and worked closely with many of these groups. Not just Ukrainian, every state trapped in the Soviet prison camp had these. Soviet is more correct I think. German military documentation often uses the term Russian when they mean Soviet much to the annoyance of historians just as they use the term "English" when they mean "British" (although it was accepted 100 years ago to use the term interchangeably) I quite like the Morris dancers so I'm fussy.

Last edited:
I still do although they are mostly helicopters now. In the 1950s and early 60s it was a requirement to stop and find the B-36 or C-124 at 30,000 feet when the ground shook (it was really felt in your ears). An experience that can't be explained to most today.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back