READING AIRSHOW!! (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanx Tim. I was debating whether the Commodore Barry or the Walt Whitman. But Blue Route isn't too far and goes right to 422, right? Never went that way. Charles has a GPS - we'll see what it says.

Pb, I don't do heat well either anymore but I think I'll be ok with the umbrellas. Last year it was brutal at Millville and I survived.

Njaco, the Blue Rte doesn't go directly to 422, it goes to the NE Extension. You need to get off at 76W interchange and head West towards King of Prussia and Valley Forge. Once on there, you'll see signs for 422.

Getting off 76W and onto 422W is on a squirrelly interchange. Pay attention to the signs or you might get dumped off onto a local road. Once you get on 422, it is a straight shot to Reading. Getting to the actual airshow is kinda odd as you have to go past Reading, exit onto another road and after about a mile exit into a neighborhood that is near the airfield. There should be plenty of signs.

Enjoy and bring plenty of water. The reinactors are pretty cool too. There are tanks and whatnot all over the place.

Great airshow but it's gonna be hot.

Thanx, Tim. I've been through that exchange before. Difficult. Must have been engineered by a 3d grader.

Charles has a GPS and with my limited knowledge we should do ok.

It was definately HOT, today in Reading. The air show was good, the B-17 flew continously, doing passenger flights. The F4U's, P-51, AT-6's by the handfulls, a replica Val, C-47, C-54, B-25's and lots of primary trainers and L-birds and the P-40. Give me a couple days to edit the pic's and I'll put them up.

A good day was had by all.

Charles

It was 96F but factor in the humidity and they were reporting that it was 103F on the flightline! No wonder I feel like a lobster!!

The announcers at the airshow were saying that temps in the cockpits of the fighters in flight were in the 110F to 130F range. Never realized that. :?: :eek:

Sound right to you pilots?

TO

We did alright until the very end. I brought chairs with umbrellas and we had a small cluster of people all around us trying to get a bit of shade. Charles and Steve stayed in the sun most of the time - of which I'm amazed. While we were leaving is when it really started to get to us. I actually collapsed at Charle's car! But it was all good.

Steve do you see where we were according to the map posted above? By the MAAM loading area - kinda away from the main stuff. Next time we bring this map!

The announcers at the airshow were saying that temps in the cockpits of the fighters in flight were in the 110F to 130F range. Never realized that. :?: :eek:

Sound right to you pilots?

TO

Yep, that sounds right. When you are in a warbird, the canopy, once closed gives you a greenhouse effect. There are some vents for fresh air, but they don't work well on the ground. Plus you typically have a high horsepower engine generating a lot of heat right in front of you.

I remember a few years ago at Chino, our Hellcat pilot was reporting 135F in the cockpit. Talk about dehydrating!

Yep, and you also have to factor in that most warbird pilots are wearing a Nomex flight suit and gloves. They will likely also be wearing a helmet. I can tell you that even the summer weight Nomex flight suit is hot.

I had a terrible time with my Nikon D70, yesterday. It would lock up after
almost every shot. I did get some good pic's. I took it to Ritz Camera
today, and in the morning it wil be on it's way to the Nikon Repair Center in
Roanoke, Va. I'll get it back in four to six weeks.

Anyhow, here's the first pic. Left to right, Me, ToughHombre and Njaco.

More to come....

Charles

Attachments

• Sign.jpg
    Sign.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 91
Here is the "Yankee Lady"

Charles

Attachments

• Yankee Lady4.jpg
    Yankee Lady4.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 81