Realism - more than Patriotism

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

".... Bet you got real toilet paper too"

Damn straight I do .. :)

Was up there yesterday (Tuesday, Mar 20) ... in 8 days it's gone from 14 inches of snow to 0. 25C and the sun was summer HOT. Don't drink hard stuff in the sun, either, Commode or no commode.

Cheers,

MM

[Actual commode :)]

Attachments

• IMG_0495.jpg
    IMG_0495.jpg
    495.4 KB · Views: 159
Last edited:
IMG_0821.jpg

Same spot March 10 and March 20, 2012. It's NOT climate change. it's WEATHER. :)
Don't need no AlGorythm to figure that out. :)

Attachments

• IMG_0782.jpg
    IMG_0782.jpg
    472.8 KB · Views: 164
  • IMG_0822.jpg
    IMG_0822.jpg
    547.2 KB · Views: 159
Last edited:
Sorry I've insulted your sensibilities about the commode MM, Haliburton or Muskoka? I have not been north of TO since my 10 years of living in the far north , like the idea of jumping into a fresh water lake when waking but the bit of the trees and rocks scares me. Do you have fresh water lakes Parsifal?

Just caught up to this thread, very cool. I lived in Canada for 5 years, my 2nd country. I have a Social Insurance card and was considering applying for landed immigrant status had my work assignment extended. I lived in Quebec and Ontario and traveled from the "winters of Winnipeg to the mud holes of Moncton." A great time of my life with many fond memories.

Just caught up to this thread, very cool. I lived in Canada for 5 years, my 2nd country. I have a Social Insurance card and was considering applying for landed immigrant status had my work assignment extended. I lived in Quebec and Ontario and traveled from the "winters of Winnipeg to the mud holes of Moncton." A great time of my life with many fond memories.
Moncton is one ugly place when the tides go out a huge mud flat

Must say, that's a pretty classy outhouse MM... Looks well made, good and solid in its construction.. I've been found passed out in far worse! :shock:

Too bad, we could have met up in Germany.

Would have been neat to do so. but that was before I subscribed to the forum... Just a lurker until this year... As Arnie says, "I'll be back..." at east I hope so. Had a great time on the rivers saw lots of ruined castles (by french invasions so I was told :( ) . Was there in time for the big flower show in Koblenz, near das(?) Deutches Eck. Here is a photo of the Eck from the Ehrenbreitstein Festung. where I finally put together why the Germans have such antipathy to the French.... They were invaded so many times, antifrench sentiment evidently became part of their cultural DNA.

Attachments

• P1010028rsz.jpg
    P1010028rsz.jpg
    180.5 KB · Views: 130
Last edited:
".... Sorry I've insulted your sensibilities about the commode MM, Haliburton or Muskoka?"

Haliburton - southwestern flank of the 'shield' ** -- 2 acres and 400 feet of frontage on the Irondale River, just east of Kinmount, Ontario .... :)

[** PreCambrian Shield -- the ancient mountains -- earth's first -- that form a collar from Labrador to Northern Saskatchewan - geologically 'stable' for >600 million years :)]

And again, what a difference +/- 10 days make.

MM

The river is about 35 deep just offshore from my POV and the current is upstream --- great swimming. The river is about 16 inches deep entering and exiting the meander - exit is on my POV left - to the west. No neighbors :).

Attachments

• IMG_0669.jpg
    IMG_0669.jpg
    500.8 KB · Views: 152
  • IMG_0830.jpg
    IMG_0830.jpg
    526.7 KB · Views: 136
Last edited:
".... Sorry I've insulted your sensibilities about the commode MM, Haliburton or Muskoka?"

Haliburton - southwestern flank of the 'shield' ** -- 2 acres and 400 feet of frontage on the Irondale River, just east of Kinmount, Ontario .... :)

[** PreCambrian Shield -- the ancient mountains -- earth's first -- that form a collar from Labrador to Northern Saskatchewan - geologically 'stable' for >600 million years :)]

And again, what a difference +/- 10 days make.

MM

The river is about 35 deep just offshore from my POV and the current is upstream --- great swimming. The river is about 16 inches deep entering and existing the meander - exit is on my POV left - to the west. No neighbors :).
Happily unexploited as it should be , there IMHO is no finer cottage area in the world

Friday, March 30: Beaver dam and Willy's chain saw art

Attachments

• IMG_0856.jpg
    IMG_0856.jpg
    488.2 KB · Views: 166
  • IMG_0861.jpg
    IMG_0861.jpg
    535.1 KB · Views: 157
  • IMG_0862.jpg
    IMG_0862.jpg
    453.6 KB · Views: 152
  • IMG_0864.jpg
    IMG_0864.jpg
    593.7 KB · Views: 162
Last edited:
Chain saw art my as*, You made a road of the beaver's dam and then then stuffed and mounted the beaver! Yikes! Then you poked out the owl's eyeballs and replaced them with lights. Well, all I can say is, despite your evident cruelty to the surrounding flora and fauna, you have a really neat cabin. Great photos too. :D

Seriously, really cool cabin and neat wood carvings. The owl does freak me out a bit. He's lookin' at me like he's wantin' to bite somethin' and worse, he's turned his head to follow me as I scanned through the photos. :shock:

Last edited:
April 4: Moody Lakes, Fire and Vegetarian Neighbor's Dog

I often tell my son Leks that today's world would be much happier and saner if we all had a chance to use FIRE for pleasure and as a tool in our daily lives.

MM

Attachments

• IMG_0879.jpg
    IMG_0879.jpg
    211 KB · Views: 138
  • IMG_0880.jpg
    IMG_0880.jpg
    377.9 KB · Views: 144
  • IMG_0893.jpg
    IMG_0893.jpg
    619.2 KB · Views: 154
  • IMG_0888.jpg
    IMG_0888.jpg
    458.8 KB · Views: 152
Interior Lines of Communications:

2012 is the 200th Anniversary of the War of 1812 (between Great Britain and the USA). The war decided the fate of Canada. Canada won. :)

On my weekly rambles to the cabin I traverse various infra structure (canals and roads) that was conceived as a result of the War of 1812 - to provide INTERIOR LINES OF COMMUNICATIONS away from the Great Lakes and America.

So - let's set the scene: To get from Lake Ontario to Lake Huron and avoid Niagara Falls and the 'Frontier'.

The Map depicts the Trent-Severn system.

Locate Cameron Lake - go north a half-inch and east a half-inch and you are at The Cabin (on the Iron Dale River). The river joins the Burnt River just below us at the Three Brothers Falls [future tour stop :)] and the Burnt looks like this when it enters Cameron Lake]. A series of canals join the various lakes, like this one at Rosedale between Cameron Lake and Balsam Lake. And finally - looming in the middle of no where - the Kirkfield Lift Lock - which steps boats down to Lake Simcoe level and onwards west to Lake Huron.

Today, the system is used for recreational boating - by Americans and Canadians alike. :)

Attachments

• TrentSystem.jpg
    TrentSystem.jpg
    178.2 KB · Views: 138
  • IMG_0243.jpg
    IMG_0243.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 132
  • IMG_0820.jpg
    IMG_0820.jpg
    288.8 KB · Views: 154
  • IMG_0289.jpg
    IMG_0289.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 128
  • IMG_0292.jpg
    IMG_0292.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 139
Last edited:
Interior Lines of Communications:

2012 is the 200th Anniversary of the War of 1812 (between Great Britain and the USA). The war decided the fate of Canada. Canada won.

Canada wasn't a sovereign nation in 1812. Gee Mike, you should know that!!!! :p :p :p :p :p

Need to get to BC and Vancouver one day, visit family and my dads cousins grave on Vancouver Island.......can't believe that it's 88 years since Andrew moved there!
......and if money and time was no object, get a decent vehicle and drive the old Route 66 and the pacific extension of Milwaukee Road!

It started in 1981 as a 20' x 25' cedar log cabin kit that we had the sense to put a full basement under .... the second storey was built in the mid '90s

Attachments

• IMG_0492.jpg
    IMG_0492.jpg
    490.7 KB · Views: 137
  • IMG_0124.jpg
    IMG_0124.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 123
  • IMG_0131.jpg
    IMG_0131.jpg
    110.1 KB · Views: 136
  • IMG_0128.jpg
    IMG_0128.jpg