Realism - more than Patriotism

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

April 3, Good Friday, high 13, low minus 3.

The Big Melt ... 3 inches of run-off in the basement.

Attachments

• IMG_2553.jpg
    IMG_2553.jpg
    740.6 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_2559.jpg
    IMG_2559.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 81
  • IMG_2550.jpg
    IMG_2550.jpg
    941.1 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_2548.jpg
    IMG_2548.jpg
    492 KB · Views: 81
... drywell drain ...

I'm not familiar with that term. This goes straight down below the poured floor to the sand below where weeping tile is laid.
I'm not unfamilar with this problem ... :) ... usually caused, once water enters, by the top screen becoming blocked by firewood debris. However that was not the case yesterday ... the frost is very deep this year and the drain was frozen ... pure and simple. I have to solve the root problem which is entrance to the basement drainage. Two vertical iron receiving channels driven into the sand right by the full width of the entrance into which 2"x6" sections can be slid after December freeze up ... is what I'm thinking. Stackable dam ... removed from May till December.

It's a dairy farm with a large sugar maple bush .... syrup is a two month max season that brings in cash ... dairy farmers are tightly monitored by milk marketing boards (production quotas) ... and syrup provides an alternative cash flow

These new facts that Maple Syrup was the hotcake syrup I knew and dairy farmers are producing it in Canada flows in my brain naturally with curiosity.
Thank you very much, MM. You are one of the best lecturers.

Shin, I noticed your syrup is from Quebec ... 75% of the world's maple syrup comes from Quebec ... and the producers have a very 'effective' production/marketing strategy .... 10,000's of barrels held in reserve so they can supply-manage the world market .... a barrel of maple syrup is valued at 25 X the price of a barrel of oil .... 40 liters of sap reduces to 1 liter of syrup ... so very energy-intensive.

In Canada, especially in Quebec, syrup time is a cultural, almost religious, celebration of the coming of spring

Attachments

• Maple_Syrup.JPG
    Maple_Syrup.JPG
    62.7 KB · Views: 77
  • download.jpeg
    download.jpeg
    11.4 KB · Views: 81
  • images.jpeg
    images.jpeg
    10.2 KB · Views: 70
  • images (1).jpeg
    images (1).jpeg
    12.9 KB · Views: 80
  • images (2).jpeg
    images (2).jpeg
    11.2 KB · Views: 85
Checking our local websites with the keyword Maple Syrup, I find the product is thought good for diet and skin care beside its noble taste especially among girls, like "It gives your lips natural moisture". To my further surprise, MM, the product is also recommended as good bath additive by a distributor. How many tons would users need it in their entire life (!)
Awesome merchandise. I am impressed :)

Last edited:
People who are going on a "fast" for health reasons or political protest are recommended to use a few drops of lemon juice and a tablespoon of maple syrup in a glass of water as these help to keep the body cleansed of waste and functioning when no food is passing through the digestive tract. In Scandinavian countries I am told they make birch syrup the same way ... but even more sap is required to reduce to a liter of product

April 10. High 12, low 0, 3 inches of rain.

River ice growling out in the mist.

[Post Script:] In the basement the drain has thawed and flood waters receded :)

Attachments

• IMG_2567.jpg
    IMG_2567.jpg
    402.8 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_2568.jpg
    IMG_2568.jpg
    368.7 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_2571.jpg
    IMG_2571.jpg
    285.8 KB · Views: 69
Last edited:
April 18. High 15, low minus 3.

Drying up nicely. Bones for Mr. Big. Serviced batteries ... 13.4 volts. Pump operational.

Attachments

• IMG_2579.jpg
    IMG_2579.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 78
  • IMG_2578.jpg
    IMG_2578.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 74
  • IMG_2576.jpg
    IMG_2576.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 82
  • IMG_2580.jpg
    IMG_2580.jpg