Recent Purchases

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Just picked these up for the Hasegawa 190, will be doing the top plane:

And Evan, I spoke to him and he is interested in the Kiwi markings, in the low viz. He was showing me this plane in particular:

It's 1/32.

Now, is there anything you'd like for trade? I have various decal sets, many of them just extras from kits, though I also have a bunch of aftermarket sets now, though most of it's 1/48 or 1/32.

Great score Cory!

Re the decals, which low-viz type? The original low-viz markings (introduced around 1986 with the Project Kahu update) were the Red Kiwi mounted on the Blue circle (White circle removed), but around 2000 they introduced a new (horrible) Dark Grey kiwi on colourless centre circle, sumounted by Dark grey outer ring.

This is a result of posting a picture hosted by another site.It would be better to upload the pic directly on the forum server.

Cool, my favourite scheme..they looked like that when I was in.

Some bad news re sizes sorry...the Blue/Red A-4k roundels were 12", 9.53 mm in 1:32. The closest I have to this (coming from 1.72 sheets) are 8.2 and 12.3. As far as I was able to check on the net, there are no suitable substitutes on any available 1:48 sheets either, and no 1:32 sets in existance at all that I could find.

If the size inaccuracy isn't a problem, he's welcome to whichever he wants, or maybe I can send one to someone here who knows how to enlarge and print them on decal paper?

Easiest way would be to re-size just the red Kiwi, print onto clear decal sheet, and then use that on a suitable 'Type B' RAF roundel. Even if the red central circle had to be overpainted, it would be covered by the Kiwi at least 90%, and much better than having to trim a roundel from white decal sheet. I doubt the density would be good enough for the complete roundel kiwi on clear decal sheet.

Good idea Terry. Had thought of that, but none of the sheets I have, or have seen on the net, have the kiwi printed seperately. It will need to be carefully cut from either a white or Blue background.

Is it possible to scan a decal and colour the image with any of the drawing programs? If so, this could then be enlarged to correct size and printed I'm guessing.

Evan, yes. If you just need the Kiwi, then scan a decal, put it into 'Photoshop', Corel' or similar, and simply erase the background. Then size to any dimensions needed, as often as required.
Of course, a plain blue roundel could be used, either an overpaintedd Type B or a painted circle (masked), and then hand-paint each Kiwi.

Users who are viewing this thread