Recent Purchases

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

It does raise the question of how much is too much to pay for a kit, doesn't it? I would like to branch out into small scale ship modelling as my skills improve, but the prices of some kits are just terrifying. ATM, I have set myself an upper limit of £20 for a kit (excluding paint, and not buying aftermarket PE or resin) - this would get me a decent injection moulded warship, maybe even with some PE included. But to build the warships I really love, the heavy units of the RN in WWI, I would be looking at over 50 quid, maybe even over 100 for some kits

As I improve (and it happening slowly ), I would obviously be willing to spend more on a kit. But I don't know if I would ever be able to justify more than 40-50 notes to myself. What do you guys think about a 'sensible' price for a kit?

The problem was discussing many months ago.There isn't any golden rule which could tell us how money we should spend on a kit.Some of us can afford these expensive and all aftermarket additions others may buy these from the "middle" and others these the cheapest ones only.There is a group of modellers who cannot afford any of them.
I think the main problem is the attitude towards modelling.Most people say : we don't have skills for that, others tell : we don't have enough of time for that.And as a result they have to pay for their hobby much more than those who say : We bought the cheapest one let see if we can make something better.

I can bet the guy who made the ship model , hasn't spent a lot of money for that.

Attachments

• small ship.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 28
That is ridiculously small! Excellent work on such a small model!
Yep, it's hard to say where to draw the line on a kit. I don't mind paying, say £16 for a 1/32nd scale Revell Beaufighter, a basic kit that can be made great by additional scratch-building. But I might hesitate at paying £16 for a 1/48th scale fighter, especially if the same type was available at, say, £12, but needed more work.
It still puzzles me how/why some companies can ask a very high price for a 1/48th or even 1/72nd scale kit, when others can offer a much bigger fairly complex kit, for £15 to £16, in many cases, half the price of the smaller kits mentioned.

Always staggers me how Hasegawa can sell a 1/72 Fw-190 A-8 for $30 NZD

For the shite detail you get you can buy 2 Revell A-8's(about 15 odd bucks) and then also get a largely better kit ,second hand you could pick up 3 revell 190's for the price of one brand new Hasegawa 190(unbelievable isn't it?)

This is the exange ratio and adding taxes effect Daniel. The model price depends on where it had been bought before it appeared in your country.

Picked these babies up today, bought the paint too.. (Had most of the colors)

Attachments

• PICT0515.JPG
    100.2 KB · Views: 34
  • PICT0516.JPG
    81.7 KB · Views: 33
Yes, I tried a new local hobby store today and they had the usual isle, it seems South Florida loves Revell, haha. I opened the junkers and it looks like its going to be a good one because ive never modeled german aircraft, preshadeing on this one . The Catalina is going to be a bigger project but not too bad, all in due time. Ontop of that I have that Revell 1/48 B-17 coming in the mail with my Alclad!

Very nice buys Maglar 8)

I was having a mooch in my local Aldi today and picked a couple of diamond buys. Firstly, I got a 57 pc hobby knife set (including 8 handles and a few awl points as well as blades), for a mere five and a half quid. Even more impressively, I also got a 'Power Craft Model Building and Engraving Set', which is essentially an Aldi own-brand Dremel copy with 40 assorted grinding stones, grinding bits, sanding and polishing discs, and sanding drums. All that lot for £10.50. I have never used a real Dremel, and I imagine it is far higher quality than my purchase. Having said that, I have just had an hour using my new tool and I'm hugely pleased with it, in fact it has probably saved my Skyhawk from a one-way flight into the bin. If anyone in the UK is after a cheap Dremel-type tool, go to Aldi, I think you'll be pleased!

This store had some tool stuff but I didnt look too hard, im not at that level yet. It was more R/C oriented and they had P40s, a Stuka, and a so many more huge RC planes for $250 - 400 US dollar. Maybe i'll go buy me one day, we have a huge park nearby thats open to the public so space would not be an issue.

Speaking of Hasegawa, those crooks! Ive never bought from them because of their lavish prices and thats why I dont. I think Revell and Tamiya offer the best prices for their models.. Revell isnt the best but it makes things affordable and its flaws are correctable and they always tell you what paint to purchase. Just my thoughts though..

Nice buys Maglar - Lucky will be after you for that Catalina! Good to see the Revell JU87 is still available, I was looking for it for the MTO Group Build, but it wasn't listed at the place I looked.
BT, thanks for the info re Aldi, Muller mentioned this, as did a mate of mine, but my local store were out of the Dremmel-type tool. Maybe they've got more stock - I'll have a look this week.
Some Hasegawa kits are a bit pricey, but they are VERY good kits, and some of their older ones are still the same price they were over 20 years ago, unlike some manufacturers we know!
They've recently re-issued the 'British' Phantom FG1/FGR2 in 1/48th scale, an excellent, beautifully moulded and detailed kit. OK, it's about £25, but that's how much it was when I bought one, back in 1986! If that had been a particular (British) company, it would be twice that price now!

Users who are viewing this thread