Recommended books for the library? (2 Viewers)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Midnight in the Pacific by Joseph Wheelen, about Guadalcanal. I can't recommend this book, I found it did not offer any new information, research or perspective. Neptune's Inferno is much better contemporary book.

Which is the best book(s) on the Berlin Airlift?

641A4B93-3C2A-43F6-99EE-44124F7E5969_w1080_r0_s.jpg

D75A7B5D-8E75-4F82-8045-C599D7202DB0_w1080_r0_s.jpg

Battleship Commander, The Life of Vice Admiral Willis A. Lee Jr. by Paul Stilwell.

I finished this book yesterday. VADM Lee was always a hero to me since I first read Morrison's book on Guadalcanal in High School. It covers his life from the Academy to early death at the end of the War. Its a book I couldn't put down. Being in Flag Plot with ADM Lee on Washington on the night of November 14, 1942 must have been incredible, the book makes you feel you're there. The author goes into depth into Lee's leadership style.

I just finished Operation Neptune: The D-Day Landings and the Allied Invasion of Europe, by Craig Symonds. Five Stars

Very good book on the planning and execution of Overlord and Neptune. The author also covers the politics of the decisions regarding Torch, Huskey, Sledgehammer, and Roundup.

I like every book by Mr. Symonds I have read. I listened to the audio version, narrated by the author.

Last edited:
Let's take this to the serious and informative side. I'd recommend German Air Attache

9781853108792-us.jpg

I strongly suggest everyone interested in how and why German WWII aircraft production decisions were made to read the Peter Riedel's account, German Air Attache as penned by Martin Simons. Peter was a glider champion and Lufthansa/SCADTA pilot who among his many record flights in foreign countries, entered and won the 1937 US Championship. Engaging and outgoing, he traveled America by sailplane, gaining very favorable publicity with his soaring flights over NY city and flying his glider over many states. As a result, he was named Air Attache and by carefully analyzing media reports and accepting invitations to visit factories, he developed very accurate analyses of the American production capability. When war broke out, he was returned to Germany, and being a friend of Ernst Udet, continued reporting as part of the Air Ministry. These were not well received, plus he became aware of concentration camp crimes. Unwisely, he shared his concerns with friends Hanna Reitch and Heini Dittmar. Shunted off to neutral Sweden, he found that his uncomfortable reports, his knowledge of unsavory events, as well as having married an American woman, when called back to Berlin, he went into hiding in late '44. His dodging to sail sketchy vessels to Casablanca, to South America, finally returning to the US via Canada is an adventure tale in itself ... full of subterfuge, mistrust and intrigue. He finally flew for PanAm and TWA before retiring. Most of the account is spent detailing the Nazi German mindset against inconvenient information, with a particular familiarity with attitudes of Goering, Milch, Canaris and many other key persons in the chain. All in all, a detailed, well footnoted and referenced accounting dealing with issues that many in this forum often guess about. Forgive me for not laying this out more cogently, but the site will not let my system use carriage returns, etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
I know that they're for modelers primarily, but would the Valiant Wings P-51D/K (also includes XP-51 Lightweights and P-51H) and Polish Wings #23 (about the P-51D's use by 303 (Polish) squadron RAF) be recommended? There's also the WingLeader book series that I've seen some of (mostly the Allison P-51s in RAF use and the DH Vampire, among several others).

Looking for aviation books between saving up for, among other things, Audi R10 photos, SDASM photos (XP-51F/G, P-51H, XP-82/P-82B &C, P-51B bubble canopy test plane--no XP-51D as such officially), and the H&K 75th Anniversary book and maybe Volume 4 of the Vickers Guide to HK (post 1990 rifles, MGs and heavy weapons).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back