Restored Spitfire to try round-the-world flight.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

glennasher

Senior Airman
Jun 16, 2007
Louisville, KY
'Silver Spitfire' Takes Flight

A newly restored Spitfire IX is planning a round-the-world trip soon. I found out about it on another forum, and thought it would be interesting to hear your thoughts about it. I wonder how they'll do the trans-oceanic crossings? No paint, no guns, will help with its short legs, but won't make up a lot of ground, either. It will be interesting to follow it's progress, in any event.

If this is the wrong forum, please move the thread.

Yep, it's the 'Silver Spitfire' Mk IX, from the Boultbee Academy. Did its first post-restoration on Thursday last week, at Duxford.
Saw an announcement about the round the world flight a couple of months back, but have since lost the link.

That is a brave pilot

No doubt there will be another pilot and they'll spell each other on the trip. It would be an awfully long trip otherwise. It should be a lot of short hops, they mentioned planning a lot of stops along the way.

There was no mention of extra tanks, or slipper tanks, either. Just a couple of paragraphs about the restoration and the trip. Still, there will be a lot of "rest stops" and ambassador-like stops along the way. Sounds like fun, really.

The 'Silver Spitfire' is to be flown by two pilots from the Boultbee Academy, Matt Jones and Steve Brooks.
The aircraft served with 118 Sqn in 1944, when it completed 16 operational sorties, and then with 132 Sqn, with 28 operations, before a wheels up landing, at Ford, on the night of May 8th, 1944.
After repair, it went to 401 (RCAF) Squadron, where it carried out 10 dive bombing operations in support of the D-Day landings and subsequent battles, before being over-stressed.
Following repair, it then was transferred to the Royal Netherlands Air Force.

Now in a highly polished aluminium finish, the 'Silver Spitfire' is about to set out on the World tour, as shown in the map below.
(map and image from Boultbeee Academy).

start-finish-spitfire.jpg
Silver Spit..png

'Silver Spitfire' Takes Flight

A newly restored Spitfire IX is planning a round-the-world trip soon. I found out about it on another forum, and thought it would be interesting to hear your thoughts about it. I wonder how they'll do the trans-oceanic crossings? No paint, no guns, will help with its short legs, but won't make up a lot of ground, either. It will be interesting to follow it's progress, in any event.

If this is the wrong forum, please move the thread.
Resp:
Likely wet wings, as a racer did to a P-51C in the late 1940s.

A guy went around the world on a microlight. The route across the Middle east is a bit of a surprise, I am surprised they could get clearance or want it.

Stupid to risk such a rare airframe. Success is unlikely.
My thoughts entirely
Capitán Jaime Storey flew a spitfire across the Atlantic in 1947 from Hurn to Buenos Aires with a 90 gal slipper tank, ( I know one of his descendants).

Atlantic Crossing with a Spitfire — Art & Memorabilia | people | post-war | prints | Spitfire PR Mk. XI
In 1947 there were still a fair few Spitfires about. I hope for their success & safety both men & machine but WHY is my first thought.

I wonder how they'll do the trans-oceanic crossings?
I understand there are these things called islands. But seriously, this is a much better machine than that bucket Amelia Earhart had. And he charts it all out, and goes with the prevailing wind, how is it he's not a cinch for this?

I understand there are these things called islands. But seriously, this is a much better machine than that bucket Amelia Earhart had. And he charts it all out, and goes with the prevailing wind, how is it he's not a cinch for this?

Resp:
There is evidence that Earhart flew away from Holland Island and ended up in Saipan, as a guest of the Japanese. Earhart was a much better pilot than most believe. Aircraft weren't as reliable then. We know much more about weather patterns now than when she flew. Get the book by Fred Goerner, "The Search for Amelia
Earhart."

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back